Username Funny Stuff
Colour Sergeant Bourne
2024-06-01 23:06:59 UTC
I just got a new Mac.

My old File Vaulted Mac booted into the Lock Screen which showed my
FirstName LastName filled in as the (only) user and under that, a box to
enter my password.

After successfully setting up my new Mac, I tuned off. Later on
power-up, it booted into the Lock Screen which showed two empty boxes-—
the first requesting my username and the second my password.

I entered FirstName LastName for the username and then the correct
password. No go. I got the shaking password error and couldn’t login.
Retried several times, checking for caps lock key, tried a different
keyboard, etc. No joy.

So I went into the Change Password sequence, logging in easily with my
Apple ID and successfully changed the Mac password. On boot, still no
joy- couldn’t login.

Eventually I called tech support and an Apple Babe walked me through
changing the password again even though I told her I had already tried
that. She insisted I do it again and while doing so, I noticed that my
actual username was in fact firstnamelastname— no caps, no space.

I told her that and we abandoned the change password operation and
rebooted entering firstnamelastname as the username. All worked fine.
Login!

The root cause of the problem was when I set up Lock Screen in System
Settings-- selecting for "Login Window Shows": "Name and Password"
instead of "List of Users"-- the latter which pre-enters
firstnamelastname even though it shows FirstName LastName.

Live and learn....
--
There’s no problem so bad that you can’t make it worse.
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield
Alan Browne
2024-06-02 17:04:16 UTC
Post by Colour Sergeant Bourne
[...]
In some other context, though I enter everything first/last names, on
some Apple app it was always showing as last/first. This eventually
resolved after some OS updates. (Don't recall the app offhand).
--
Fore Score and Seven Years ago our Four Fathers fought a lot.
- some guy on the Internet in the 1860's