IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
navti
2007-05-30 19:18:40 UTC
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and
MAC OS X?

I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very
latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds.

When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take
an eternity.

So slow in fact I have to kill the process .

I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is
a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most
sensible option ).
Clever Monkey
2007-05-30 19:40:12 UTC
Post by navti
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and
MAC OS X?
I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very
latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds.
When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take
an eternity.
So slow in fact I have to kill the process .
SMB/CIFS is set to be correct out of the box, not fast. There are a lot
of ways to improve the performance if you know what to measure and how
your network is built. See the free O'Reilly book on Samba for tuning
hints. You may also want to sniff the traffic to see is there are a lot
or packets being resent or dropped for some reason. Network tuning is a
bit of a black art, so be prepared to spend evenings with dangerous,
dusty tomes.

Alternatives are to use sftp to transfer files, or something like NFS if
you want the one or more boxes to host files for the other on a
semi-permanent basis.
--
clvrmnky <mailto:***@clevermonkey.org>

Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
contact me directly.
Jolly Roger
2007-05-30 22:53:15 UTC
Post by navti
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and
MAC OS X?
I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very
latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds.
When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take
an eternity.
So slow in fact I have to kill the process .
I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is
a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most
sensible option ).
Personally I have always liked using Netatalk on Linux to share files
with AppleShare. AppleShare the default way for Macs to connect to
other Macs, so it's really cool that you can serve files with
AppleShare in Linux. For details see:

<http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/>
JR
tacit
2007-05-31 01:41:51 UTC
Post by navti
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and
MAC OS X?
I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very
latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds.
When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take
an eternity.
I transfer files to and from a Gentoo box using netatalk. Works very
well.
--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Wes Groleau
2007-05-31 02:46:49 UTC
Post by navti
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and
MAC OS X?
NFS or FTP on a secure LAN

SFTP if you're not sure your LAN is secure

ZIP drive if you're REALLY paranoid.
--
Wes Groleau

There ain't no right wing,
there ain't no left wing.
There's only you and me and we just disagree.
(apologies to Jim Krueger)
Tom Stiller
2007-05-31 02:54:21 UTC
Post by Wes Groleau
Post by navti
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and
MAC OS X?
NFS or FTP on a secure LAN
SFTP if you're not sure your LAN is secure
ZIP drive if you're REALLY paranoid.
I use MacFUSE and Secure Remote Disk to "mount" Linux volumes.
--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF