ML vs. SL Screen Saver
Nick Naym
2012-12-31 16:31:18 UTC
I very much liked a particular screen saver in Snow Leopard ("Cosmos"),
but don't particlarly care for the version (both image content and "Ken
Burns" fade/change rate) that is included in Mountain Lion.

Anyone know if (and how) I can "import" the SL version of Cosmos for use
in ML?
iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Barry Margolin
2012-12-31 19:38:22 UTC
In article
Post by Nick Naym
I very much liked a particular screen saver in Snow Leopard ("Cosmos"),
but don't particlarly care for the version (both image content and "Ken
Burns" fade/change rate) that is included in Mountain Lion.
Anyone know if (and how) I can "import" the SL version of Cosmos for use
in ML?
Have you tried copying /System/Library/Screen Savers/Cosmos.slideSaver
on the SL machine to ~/Library/Screen Savers on the ML machine?
--
Barry Margolin, ***@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Ant
2012-12-31 23:24:11 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by Nick Naym
I very much liked a particular screen saver in Snow Leopard ("Cosmos"),
but don't particlarly care for the version (both image content and "Ken
Burns" fade/change rate) that is included in Mountain Lion.
Anyone know if (and how) I can "import" the SL version of Cosmos for use
in ML?
Have you tried copying /System/Library/Screen Savers/Cosmos.slideSaver
on the SL machine to ~/Library/Screen Savers on the ML machine?
Do those old screen savers have strong security if they work?
--
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the
summer." --Proverbs 30:25 (Bible)
Nick Naym
2013-01-01 04:15:08 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
I very much liked a particular screen saver in Snow Leopard ("Cosmos"),
but don't particlarly care for the version (both image content and "Ken
Burns" fade/change rate) that is included in Mountain Lion.
Anyone know if (and how) I can "import" the SL version of Cosmos for use
in ML?
Have you tried copying /System/Library/Screen Savers/Cosmos.slideSaver
on the SL machine to ~/Library/Screen Savers on the ML machine?
I thought Screen Saver files were always located in the System Library.
Now that I see there's a folder for them in the Home Library as well, I
also see that it's empty (in both SL and ML).

Since the ~/Library/Screen Savers folders in both OSs are empty, what
are they used for? Do they exist specifically to allow users to create
their own screen saver options...and if so, how does the user select one
over the other?
iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Michelle Steiner
2013-01-01 05:06:15 UTC
In article
Post by Nick Naym
I thought Screen Saver files were always located in the System Library.
Now that I see there's a folder for them in the Home Library as well, I
also see that it's empty (in both SL and ML).
Since the ~/Library/Screen Savers folders in both OSs are empty, what
are they used for? Do they exist specifically to allow users to create
their own screen saver options...and if so, how does the user select one
over the other?
There's also one in /Library; check there. Some third party screen savers
give you the option of installing it for everyone or just the current user.
The 2012 elections are over; let the 2016 campaigning begin!
Nick Naym
iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Barry Margolin
2013-01-01 05:43:42 UTC
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
[...]
/System/Library/Screen Savers are the screen savers that come from
Apple; software updates could replace them.

/Library/Screen Savers are third-party screen savers that the admin
installs for use by everyone on the machine.

~/Library/Screen Savers are third-party screen savers that you install
just for your personal use.
--
Barry Margolin, ***@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Nick Naym
2013-01-01 17:02:16 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
[...]
OK...got it.

But how does ML (and therefore the user) keep track of and distiguish
between screensavers with the same name that reside in the different
libraries? IOW, let's say I place a copy of SL Cosmos in either ML's
/Library/Screen Savers or ML's ~/Library/Screen Savers. Currently,
there's already a ML version of Cosmos in /System/Library/Screen Savers.
When I then go to my ML Desktop & Screensaver prefs to choose a
screensaver, how will the two versions of Cosmos be distinguished from
each other?
iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Barry Margolin
2013-01-01 17:15:15 UTC
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
[...]
I don't think it distinguishes them in an obvious way.

I have one screensaver in /Library. When I right-click it in the Desktop
& Screen Saver system preference, the context menu has "Show in Finder"
and "Move to Trash". The screensavers in /System/Library don't do this.
I don't have anything in ~/Library, but I suspect it will also pop up
the menu.

So if you need to know where it is, right-click and select Show in
Finder. If the option isn't offered, it's an Apple system screensaver.
--
Barry Margolin, ***@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Nick Naym
2013-01-01 17:32:17 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
[...]
I just placed a copy of SL Cosmos in ~/Library/Screen Savers. When I
then went to Desktop & Screensaver prefs, there didn't appear to be
anything different: There's still the ML version of Cosmos (which is
what I've been using), but that's all — there's nothing else that I can
see that indicates that there's another (the SL version) Cosmos
screensaver, or anything else that indicates that there's been any
change at all to my screensaver options.
iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Barry Margolin
2013-01-02 01:02:55 UTC
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
[...]
I wouldn't be surprised if it looks in the screensaver's resources, and
sees that it comes from Apple, so it shows it that way even though it's
in your directory.
--
Barry Margolin, ***@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Nick Naym
2013-01-02 03:01:04 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
[...]
?? So, are you saying that it *assumes* that the Cosmos in
~/Library/Screen Savers is the same Cosmos as the one in
/System/Library/Screen Savers, and simply ignores it? That seems rather
odd...but, regardless, that leaves me back at where I began: How do I
get the SL version of Cosmos to run in ML?

-- iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Barry Margolin
2013-01-02 04:21:26 UTC
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
[...]
Try giving it a different name so they both show up.
--
Barry Margolin, ***@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Nick Naym
2013-01-02 05:42:46 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
Post by Barry Margolin
In article
Post by Nick Naym
[...]
what I've been using), but that's all â╢╰ there's nothing else
that I can see that indicates that there's another (the SL version)
Cosmos screensaver, or anything else that indicates that there's
been any change at all to my screensaver options.
I wouldn't be surprised if it looks in the screensaver's resources,
and sees that it comes from Apple, so it shows it that way even though
it's in your directory.
?? So, are you saying that it *assumes* that the Cosmos in
~/Library/Screen Savers is the same Cosmos as the one in
/System/Library/Screen Savers, and simply ignores it? That seems rather
odd...but, regardless, that leaves me back at where I began: How do I
get the SL version of Cosmos to run in ML?
Try giving it a different name so they both show up.
No difference: Still only the original ML version shows up. :-(

-- iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Wes Groleau
2013-01-02 05:15:47 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by Nick Naym
I just placed a copy of SL Cosmos in ~/Library/Screen Savers. When I
then went to Desktop & Screensaver prefs, there didn't appear to be
anything different: There's still the ML version of Cosmos (which is
what I've been using), but that's all — there's nothing else that I can
see that indicates that there's another (the SL version) Cosmos
screensaver, or anything else that indicates that there's been any
change at all to my screensaver options.
I wouldn't be surprised if it looks in the screensaver's resources, and
sees that it comes from Apple, so it shows it that way even though it's
in your directory.
Or likely, if the same name is in two or three of the places, the one in
~/Library wins.
--
Wes Groleau

“Lewis's case for the existence of God is fallacious.”
"You mean like circular reasoning?”
“He believes in God. Therefore, he's fallacious."
Nick Naym
2013-01-02 05:42:46 UTC
Post by Wes Groleau
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by Nick Naym
I just placed a copy of SL Cosmos in ~/Library/Screen Savers. When I
then went to Desktop & Screensaver prefs, there didn't appear to be
anything different: There's still the ML version of Cosmos (which is
what I've been using), but that's all — there's nothing else that I can
see that indicates that there's another (the SL version) Cosmos
screensaver, or anything else that indicates that there's been any
change at all to my screensaver options.
I wouldn't be surprised if it looks in the screensaver's resources, and
sees that it comes from Apple, so it shows it that way even though it's
in your directory.
Or likely, if the same name is in two or three of the places, the one in
~/Library wins.
Apparently not: The one from Apple (the ML "Cosmos" in
/System/Library/Screen Savers) wins.
iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Wes Groleau
2013-01-02 06:44:21 UTC
Post by Nick Naym
Apparently not: The one from Apple (the ML "Cosmos" in
/System/Library/Screen Savers) wins.
cd "/System/Library/Screen Savers"

sudo tar cjf "/whatever/path/you/want/Cosmos.tbz" Cosmos.slideSaver

sudo rm -rf Cosmos.slideSaver

sudo reboot
--
Wes Groleau

“If it wasn't for that blasted back-hoe,
a hundred of us could be working with shovels”
“Yeah, and if it weren't for our shovels,
a thousand of us could be working with spoons."
Nick Naym
2013-01-02 15:11:26 UTC
Post by Wes Groleau
Post by Nick Naym
Apparently not: The one from Apple (the ML "Cosmos" in
/System/Library/Screen Savers) wins.
cd "/System/Library/Screen Savers"
sudo tar cjf "/whatever/path/you/want/Cosmos.tbz" Cosmos.slideSaver
sudo rm -rf Cosmos.slideSaver
sudo reboot
?? (I am "terminally" illiterate. :-( )
iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Wes Groleau
2013-01-03 01:44:20 UTC
Post by Nick Naym
?? (I am "terminally" illiterate.
# go to the directory where the one you don't want lives
cd "/System/Library/Screen Savers"

# pack up and compress it onto your desktop (if you want to keep it)
sudo tar cjf "/whatever/path/you/want/Cosmos.tbz" Cosmos.slideSaver

# delete the uncompressed copy so that the screensaver framework
# can't find it
sudo rm -rf Cosmos.slideSaver

# overkill, but guarantees that the screensaver framework
# doesn't remember that it used to be there
sudo reboot
--
Wes Groleau

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers
that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”
— Alexis de Tocqueville
Nick Naym
2013-01-04 21:39:20 UTC
Post by Wes Groleau
Post by Nick Naym
?? (I am "terminally" illiterate.
# go to the directory where the one you don't want lives
cd "/System/Library/Screen Savers"
# pack up and compress it onto your desktop (if you want to keep it)
sudo tar cjf "/whatever/path/you/want/Cosmos.tbz" Cosmos.slideSaver
# delete the uncompressed copy so that the screensaver framework
# can't find it
sudo rm -rf Cosmos.slideSaver
# overkill, but guarantees that the screensaver framework
# doesn't remember that it used to be there
sudo reboot
Apparently, this is not such a straightforward issue. I came across a
discussion (http://tinyurl.com/b7paxff) that I don't understand, but
which suggested to me that it's more involved than simply moving the
screensaver file around.

I called AppleCare, and was told that there's no starightofrward way of
doing it...in fact, it can't be done by copying the SL screensaver file
and moving it to a folder in ML: One would have to (somehow) "build" a
new "screensaver" in ML using iPhoto (which seems to be consistent with
the discussion at http://tinyurl.com/b7paxff).

I wish Apple didn't "improve" screensaver in ML...at the very least, I
wish that the "improved" screensaver allowed one to adjust the timing of
the image fades/transitions. (Actually, so far there's not much about ML
that I *do* like compared to SL!)
iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) • OS X (10.8.2)
Wes Groleau
2013-01-05 04:59:17 UTC
Post by Nick Naym
Apparently, this is not such a straightforward issue. I came across a
discussion (http://tinyurl.com/b7paxff) that I don't understand, but
which suggested to me that it's more involved than simply moving the
screensaver file around.
If you read the comments I added, you will understand that I did not
tell you to move it.

I told you how to _delete_ it, so that it CAN'T run because it doesn't
exist.

I gave you the OPTION of compressing it into an unrunnable archive and
putting that in a place where the code will never look for it.

I'll never claim that Terminal is transparent, but it IS easier to learn
than pre-Norman Anglo-Saxon
--
Wes Groleau

Daily Hoax: http://www.snopes2.com/cgi-bin/random/random.asp