Time Magazine: The iPhone Dials Up the Competition
Meg
2007-06-26 02:42:55 UTC
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635816,00.html
Justin
2007-06-26 02:46:51 UTC
Post by Meg
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635816,00.html
Quit spamming your wank.
Screw the iPhone
2007-06-26 02:52:04 UTC
Post by Meg
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635816,00.html
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you whiney little babies get your
precious i(diot)Phones and discover what a horrible piece of shit it
actually is.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
Michelle Steiner
2007-06-26 03:12:52 UTC
Post by Screw the iPhone
Post by Meg
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635816,00.html
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you whiney little babies get your
precious i(diot)Phones and discover what a horrible piece of shit it
actually is.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
I'll grant that you're an expert on shit, seeing as how that's what
you're made of, but that doesn't mean that you know shit about cell
phones.

You're just jealous because even though a child can use one intuitively,
you're too stupid to figure it out.
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
Screw the iPhone
2007-06-26 03:26:42 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:12:52 -0700, Michelle Steiner
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the iPhone
Post by Meg
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635816,00.html
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you whiney little babies get your
precious i(diot)Phones and discover what a horrible piece of shit it
actually is.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
I'll grant that you're an expert on shit, seeing as how that's what
you're made of, but that doesn't mean that you know shit about cell
phones.
You're just jealous because even though a child can use one intuitively,
you're too stupid to figure it out.
You wish. I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on. Do you think you could hold the grandstanding to a minimum
until you actually have real life experience with the thing, or is
your life *THAT* empty???
Jolly Roger
2007-06-26 03:35:21 UTC
Post by Screw the iPhone
I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on.
You've already decided it's a piece of shit without having ever put
your hands on one. Hypocrite lately?
JR
Screw the iPhone
2007-06-26 04:29:58 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:35:21 -0500, Jolly Roger
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Screw the iPhone
I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on.
You've already decided it's a piece of shit without having ever put
your hands on one. Hypocrite lately?
Many here (especially the spam whores) have decided it's the greatest
thing since sliced bread without putting their hands on it yet. So
before you talk about hypocrisy, look around this group.
Michelle Steiner
2007-06-26 03:52:00 UTC
Post by Screw the iPhone
You wish. I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on.
You've been shitting about it more than anyone has been wetting their
pants about it.
Post by Screw the iPhone
Do you think you could hold the grandstanding to a minimum until you
actually have real life experience with the thing, or is your life
*THAT* empty???
Exactly where and when have I been grandstanding about it? If anyone
around here has been grandstanding and going apeshit, that person is
you. The majority of the rest of us, including some of the nay-sayers,
have been reasonable about it.

But I guess it's OK for people with empty lives, like you, to go
ballistic about just about anything, right?
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
Screw the iPhone
2007-06-26 04:35:25 UTC
Post by Screw the iPhone
Do you think you could hold the grandstanding to a minimum until you
actually have real life experience with the thing, or is your life
*THAT* empty???
Exactly where and when have I been grandstanding about it? If anyone
around here has been grandstanding and going apeshit, that person is
you. The majority of the rest of us, including some of the nay-sayers,
have been reasonable about it.
But I guess it's OK for people with empty lives, like you, to go
ballistic about just about anything, right?
Aww, does it really make you *that* uncomfortable when someone doesn't
get as big of a boner as you about a stupid ass phone THAT HASN'T EVEN
BEEN RELEASED YET??? I could understand it if it were next week and
we were reading *real* reports from *real* people about their *real*
experiences with the i(diot)Phone. But, it's not, and all else is
conjecture until it happens. Now, go back to creaming your jeans
waiting for your i(diot)Phone.
Ura Dippschit
2007-06-26 05:11:38 UTC
Post by Screw the iPhone
Aww, does it really make you *that* uncomfortable when someone doesn't
get as big of a boner as you about a stupid ass phone THAT HASN'T EVEN
BEEN RELEASED YET??? I could understand it if it were next week and
we were reading *real* reports from *real* people about their *real*
experiences with the i(diot)Phone. But, it's not, and all else is
conjecture until it happens. Now, go back to creaming your jeans
waiting for your i(diot)Phone.
Ahahahah...typical talk from a future customer. We'll see who the idiot
is when you're still holding out because of all the shit you talk.
MuahMan
2007-06-26 05:53:15 UTC
Post by Ura Dippschit
Post by Screw the iPhone
Aww, does it really make you *that* uncomfortable when someone doesn't
get as big of a boner as you about a stupid ass phone THAT HASN'T EVEN
BEEN RELEASED YET??? I could understand it if it were next week and
we were reading *real* reports from *real* people about their *real*
experiences with the i(diot)Phone. But, it's not, and all else is
conjecture until it happens. Now, go back to creaming your jeans
waiting for your i(diot)Phone.
Ahahahah...typical talk from a future customer. We'll see who the idiot
is when you're still holding out because of all the shit you talk.
I know sure as fuck can't live without a third mp3 player. Especially one
with so much storage and expandable as well!
Michelle Steiner
2007-06-26 06:06:16 UTC
I could understand it if it were next week and we were reading *real*
reports from *real* people about their *real* experiences with the
i(diot)Phone. But, it's not, and all else is conjecture until it
happens. Now, go back to creaming your jeans waiting for your
i(diot)Phone.
Yeah, you're anti-iPhone hysteria is all conjecture too, but it is a
conjecture that goes against Apple's track record. On the other hand,
the pro-iPhone conjectures are supported by Apple's track record.
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
Screw the i(diot)Phone
2007-06-26 06:21:45 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:06:16 -0700, Michelle Steiner
Post by Michelle Steiner
I could understand it if it were next week and we were reading *real*
reports from *real* people about their *real* experiences with the
i(diot)Phone. But, it's not, and all else is conjecture until it
happens. Now, go back to creaming your jeans waiting for your
i(diot)Phone.
Yeah, you're anti-iPhone hysteria is all conjecture too, but it is a
conjecture that goes against Apple's track record. On the other hand,
the pro-iPhone conjectures are supported by Apple's track record.
Much like a neutered dog, you just don't get it, do you? I'm always
skeptical over something that generates this much faux "buzz" when two
major companies are involved. Add to that the i(diot)Phone is being
advertised with features I'll never use. It's a PHONE, goddammit.
All I need a PHONE to do is make and receive PHONE CALLS, not watch
stupid YouTube videos or listen to music. That's what computers and
CD players are for. At least if one of those craps out, I still have
the functionality of the other devices. You Kool-aid drinking
lemmings who want to be the de facto guinea pig beta testers for
Crapple and Stinkular are candidates for psychological experiments in
mass mind control (read: cults). All the "hysteria" that you claim is
coming from the i(diot)Phone lemmings. Look at the posts here. But
you go and get your precious i(diot)Phone. And the first post you
make here bitching about it, expect me to jump all over it. Go ahead,
I'll be waiting...
Michelle Steiner
2007-06-26 07:05:47 UTC
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
Post by Michelle Steiner
Yeah, you're anti-iPhone hysteria is all conjecture too, but it is a
conjecture that goes against Apple's track record. On the other
hand, the pro-iPhone conjectures are supported by Apple's track
record.
Much like a neutered dog, you just don't get it, do you?
Much like a rabid dog, you make mindless attacks.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm always skeptical over something that generates this much faux
"buzz" when two major companies are involved.
You're not skeptical, you're on the attack, pretending that your biased
and baseless opinion is fact.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
Add to that the i(diot)Phone is being advertised with features I'll
never use.
The idiot is you, not the phone. Just because *you* will never use
those features doesn't mean that no one else will use them. If the
phone doesn't fit your needs and wants, don't buy it. What is so
fucking hard to understand about that?

Got a clue for you: the world doesn't revolve around you--it really
doesn't.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
All I need a PHONE to do is make and receive PHONE CALLS, not watch
stupid YouTube videos or listen to music. That's what computers and
CD players are for.
So you would rather carry three items than one item? Well, I'm not a
big strong, brainless musclebound he man like you; I'd rather carry just
one thing that does all of those functions.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
You Kool-aid drinking lemmings who want to be the de facto guinea pig
beta testers for Crapple and Stinkular are candidates for
psychological experiments in mass mind control (read: cults).
Yeah, right; anyone who doesn't think like you is a lemming. Last time
I looked, you're not Big Brother.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
All the "hysteria" that you claim is coming from the i(diot)Phone
lemmings. Look at the posts here.
I have, and I see you and two or three (at most) other anti-Apple
ideologues ranting and raving like rabid dogs barking at the full moon.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
And the first post you make here bitching about it, expect me to jump
all over it. Go ahead, I'll be waiting...
I strongly doubt that there will be anything to bitch about. But you
please keep howling, Fido; you're still good for a few laughs.
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
Screw the i(diot)Phone
2007-06-26 17:50:17 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Yeah, you're anti-iPhone hysteria is all conjecture too, but it is a
conjecture that goes against Apple's track record. On the other
hand, the pro-iPhone conjectures are supported by Apple's track
record.
Much like a neutered dog, you just don't get it, do you?
Much like a rabid dog, you make mindless attacks.
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored view
of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm always skeptical over something that generates this much faux
"buzz" when two major companies are involved.
You're not skeptical, you're on the attack, pretending that your biased
and baseless opinion is fact.
You have no facts to back up anything being said about the
i(diot)Phone other than what the suits at Crapple want you to know.
The sales staff has clearly done their job. Jim Jones offers you
Kool-aid and you ask for more. What an IDIOT you are.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
Add to that the i(diot)Phone is being advertised with features I'll
never use.
The idiot is you, not the phone. Just because *you* will never use
those features doesn't mean that no one else will use them. If the
phone doesn't fit your needs and wants, don't buy it. What is so
fucking hard to understand about that?
What is so hard for you to understand it's a fucking PHONE, for gods
sake!?!? Anyone who feels they *need* the i(diot)Phone is sorely
lacking in the self-respect department.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Got a clue for you: the world doesn't revolve around you--it really
doesn't.
Really? I'd imagine most people who didn't drink the Kool-aid feels
the same way I do bout the i(diot)Phone. An overpriced, overhyped
piece of junk. Didn't I read somewhere the battery wasn't user
changeable? Fuck, if people who buy something like that aren't the
most stupid pieces of shit in the history of mankind.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
All I need a PHONE to do is make and receive PHONE CALLS, not watch
stupid YouTube videos or listen to music. That's what computers and
CD players are for.
So you would rather carry three items than one item? Well, I'm not a
big strong, brainless musclebound he man like you; I'd rather carry just
one thing that does all of those functions.
If you have to carry that much shit around just to keep you
entertained, your problems go much deeper than any "PHONE" can
resolve. Please mention this to your psychiatrist on your next visit
so he can adjust you meds.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
You Kool-aid drinking lemmings who want to be the de facto guinea pig
beta testers for Crapple and Stinkular are candidates for
psychological experiments in mass mind control (read: cults).
Yeah, right; anyone who doesn't think like you is a lemming. Last time
I looked, you're not Big Brother.
And I never pretended to be. You're just pissed because I'm not
wetting my pants over a goddamn PHONE, like you are. Damn, you're
pathetic.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
All the "hysteria" that you claim is coming from the i(diot)Phone
lemmings. Look at the posts here.
I have, and I see you and two or three (at most) other anti-Apple
ideologues ranting and raving like rabid dogs barking at the full moon.
Then you aren't looking hard enough. I figure most are just biting
their tongues waiting for all the faux hysteria to calm down, Ms.
Astroturf. Quite frankly, just about all of the English speaking
world has heard of the i(diot)Phone by now, and they don't need
constant reminders and faux testimonials of how great it is BEFORE THE
FUCKING THING IS EVEN RELEASED!!!
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
And the first post you make here bitching about it, expect me to jump
all over it. Go ahead, I'll be waiting...
I strongly doubt that there will be anything to bitch about. But you
please keep howling, Fido; you're still good for a few laughs.
Now you'll have to sit in your shanty and cry to yourself about your
bad decision to buy an i(diot)Phone because you'll be too afraid of
being told "I told you so" to complain here.
Michelle Steiner
2007-06-26 21:19:12 UTC
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored view
of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
The only opinion I've expressed is about you and your hypocrisy,
dogbreath; I haven't expressed any opinion about the phone itself, moron.

You, on the other hand, have been badmouthing the iPhone and Apple even
though you have had zero experience with the phone.
Post by Michelle Steiner
You're not skeptical, you're on the attack, pretending that your
biased and baseless opinion is fact.
You have no facts to back up anything being said about the
i(diot)Phone other than what the suits at Crapple want you to know.
That is the reason that I haven't said anything about the phone itself.
You on the other hand, have absolutely no facts to back your baseless
and worthless attacks.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
What is so hard for you to understand it's a fucking PHONE, for gods
sake!?!?
What makes you think that I don't understand that? Oh yes, your rabid
anti-Apple bigotry is what makes you think that.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
Anyone who feels they *need* the i(diot)Phone is sorely lacking in
the self-respect department.
I didn't say anything about needing the phone, illiterate moron. Learn
to read for comprehension.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Got a clue for you: the world doesn't revolve around you--it really
doesn't.
Really? I'd imagine most people who didn't drink the Kool-aid feels
the same way I do bout the i(diot)Phone
That's right; you imagine it, because you're too self-centered to accept
reality.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
An overpriced, overhyped piece of junk.
What evidence do you have that it is a piece of junk? Absolutely no
evidence at all. And "overpriced, overhyped" is merely your opinion.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
All I need a PHONE to do is make and receive PHONE CALLS, not
watch stupid YouTube videos or listen to music. That's what
computers and CD players are for.
So you would rather carry three items than one item? Well, I'm not
a big strong, brainless musclebound he man like you; I'd rather
carry just one thing that does all of those functions.
If you have to carry that much shit around just to keep you
entertained, your problems go much deeper than any "PHONE" can
resolve.
That's what you said that you do. I didn't say it.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
You Kool-aid drinking lemmings who want to be the de facto guinea
pig beta testers for Crapple and Stinkular are candidates for
psychological experiments in mass mind control (read: cults).
Yeah, right; anyone who doesn't think like you is a lemming. Last
time I looked, you're not Big Brother.
And I never pretended to be.
In this thread, you most certainly act as if you believe that you are.
I believe that you haven't pretended to be him, but only because you act
as if you believe that you are him.
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
Now you'll have to sit in your shanty and cry to yourself about your
bad decision to buy an i(diot)Phone because you'll be too afraid of
being told "I told you so" to complain here.
I don't know where your "here" is, but it certainly isn't my "here".

But the bottom line is that you are a liar and a hypocrite with
delusions of adequacy, so just fuck off.
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
Rod Speed
2007-06-26 22:30:40 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored
view of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
The only opinion I've expressed is about you and your hypocrisy,
dogbreath; I haven't expressed any opinion about the phone itself,
Bare faced lie.
Post by Michelle Steiner
moron.
Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.
Post by Michelle Steiner
You, on the other hand, have been badmouthing the iPhone and
Apple even though you have had zero experience with the phone.
You in spades.
Post by Michelle Steiner
You on the other hand, have absolutely no facts
to back your baseless and worthless attacks.
You two make a good pair then.

None of the rest of your juvenile rant worth bothering with, all flushed where it belongs.
George Kerby
2007-06-27 00:20:23 UTC
On 6/26/07 4:19 PM, in article
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored view
of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
The only opinion I've expressed is about you and your hypocrisy,
dogbreath; I haven't expressed any opinion about the phone itself, moron.
Don't insult my German Shepherd.

His breath doesn't smell of reeking shit like this asshole.
Michelle Steiner
2007-06-27 14:08:29 UTC
Post by George Kerby
Don't insult my German Shepherd.
His breath doesn't smell of reeking shit like this asshole.
Sorry. I guess I should apologize to Spenser too.
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
Screw the i(diot)Phone
2007-06-28 02:21:41 UTC
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:20:23 -0500, George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
On 6/26/07 4:19 PM, in article
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored view
of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
The only opinion I've expressed is about you and your hypocrisy,
dogbreath; I haven't expressed any opinion about the phone itself, moron.
Don't insult my German Shepherd.
His breath doesn't smell of reeking shit like this asshole.
You seem awfully familiar with the smell of your dog's breath and
feces. Does the ASPCA know what you are up to?
George Kerby
2007-06-28 14:06:36 UTC
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:20:23 -0500, George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
On 6/26/07 4:19 PM, in article
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored view
of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
The only opinion I've expressed is about you and your hypocrisy,
dogbreath; I haven't expressed any opinion about the phone itself, moron.
Don't insult my German Shepherd.
His breath doesn't smell of reeking shit like this asshole.
You seem awfully familiar with the smell of your dog's breath and
feces. Does the ASPCA know what you are up to?
Fuck off Zero.

<ding>

(Watch this folks)
Screw the i(diot)Phone
2007-06-28 18:55:00 UTC
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:06:36 -0500, George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:20:23 -0500, George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
On 6/26/07 4:19 PM, in article
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored view
of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
The only opinion I've expressed is about you and your hypocrisy,
dogbreath; I haven't expressed any opinion about the phone itself, moron.
Don't insult my German Shepherd.
His breath doesn't smell of reeking shit like this asshole.
You seem awfully familiar with the smell of your dog's breath and
feces. Does the ASPCA know what you are up to?
Fuck off Zero.
<ding>
(Watch this folks)
Watch what? You blow your dog while talking on your i(diot)Phone? Or
is Michelle going to show us her "extra" equipment? <shudder>
George Kerby
2007-06-28 21:35:23 UTC
Post by George Kerby
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:20:23 -0500, George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
On 6/26/07 4:19 PM, in article
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored view
of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
The only opinion I've expressed is about you and your hypocrisy,
dogbreath; I haven't expressed any opinion about the phone itself, moron.
Don't insult my German Shepherd.
His breath doesn't smell of reeking shit like this asshole.
You seem awfully familiar with the smell of your dog's breath and
feces. Does the ASPCA know what you are up to?
Fuck off Zero.
<ding>
(Watch this folks)
Watch what? You blow your dog while talking on your i(diot)Phone? Or
is Michelle going to show us her "extra" equipment? <shudder>
Up yours, drooling canine!

<ding>

Here goes...
Screw the i(diot)Phone
2007-06-28 02:21:40 UTC
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:19:12 -0700, Michelle Steiner
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
I'm so sorry, it appears you are on the rag. That must explain why
you are so touchy when someone disagrees with your rose colored view
of stupid ass PHONE. Damn, you are one sad little person.
The only opinion I've expressed is about you and your hypocrisy,
dogbreath; I haven't expressed any opinion about the phone itself, moron.
Bullshit, you cow. For example, you said it would supplant the iPod's
UI on the day of its release.
Post by Michelle Steiner
You, on the other hand, have been badmouthing the iPhone and Apple even
though you have had zero experience with the phone.
I'm badmouthing it based on what is known now. A non-removable
battery? A non-removable SIM card? Are you fucking serious? I'm
also taking shots at EVERYONE who has "got to have this phone the day
its released" without any real user experiences. What you see as
baseless criticism is really a condemnation of all the hype based
solely on what Crapple's and Stinkular's marketing departments have
released thus far. Go back to chewing your cud, cow.
Post by Michelle Steiner
You're not skeptical, you're on the attack, pretending that your
biased and baseless opinion is fact.
You have no facts to back up anything being said about the
i(diot)Phone other than what the suits at Crapple want you to know.
That is the reason that I haven't said anything about the phone itself.
You on the other hand, have absolutely no facts to back your baseless
and worthless attacks.
See above, liar. I could find other examples you've forgotten, but
you aren't worth the effort, cow.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
What is so hard for you to understand it's a fucking PHONE, for gods
sake!?!?
What makes you think that I don't understand that? Oh yes, your rabid
anti-Apple bigotry is what makes you think that.
Your continued defense of it non-phone functions, that's what, cow.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
Anyone who feels they *need* the i(diot)Phone is sorely lacking in
the self-respect department.
I didn't say anything about needing the phone, illiterate moron. Learn
to read for comprehension.
What part of the word 'anyone' do you not understand, cow?
Post by Michelle Steiner
Got a clue for you: the world doesn't revolve around you--it really
doesn't.
Really? I'd imagine most people who didn't drink the Kool-aid feels
the same way I do bout the i(diot)Phone
That's right; you imagine it, because you're too self-centered to accept
reality.
Try 'I'm too centered in reality to go all ga-ga over a stupid ass
PHONE!'
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
An overpriced, overhyped piece of junk.
What evidence do you have that it is a piece of junk? Absolutely no
evidence at all. And "overpriced, overhyped" is merely your opinion.
It has two names on it, Crapple, and worse, Stinkular. My long
experience with the cellular industry has shown me that a device's
worthiness is often inversely proportionate to its pre-market hype.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
All I need a PHONE to do is make and receive PHONE CALLS, not
watch stupid YouTube videos or listen to music. That's what
computers and CD players are for.
So you would rather carry three items than one item? Well, I'm not
a big strong, brainless musclebound he man like you; I'd rather
carry just one thing that does all of those functions.
If you have to carry that much shit around just to keep you
entertained, your problems go much deeper than any "PHONE" can
resolve.
That's what you said that you do. I didn't say it.
No, I never said I do. Please take a course in reading comprehension,
you stupid fat cow. When I'm listening to music, the phone can go to
hell. Same when I'm on a computer, the rest isn't necessary. You are
probably one of those big ass bitches who listens to an MP3 player
while talking on the phone and putting on makeup and cramming a Big
Mac in your fat face while driving your big ass SUV down the road.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
You Kool-aid drinking lemmings who want to be the de facto guinea
pig beta testers for Crapple and Stinkular are candidates for
psychological experiments in mass mind control (read: cults).
Yeah, right; anyone who doesn't think like you is a lemming. Last
time I looked, you're not Big Brother.
And I never pretended to be.
In this thread, you most certainly act as if you believe that you are.
I believe that you haven't pretended to be him, but only because you act
as if you believe that you are him.
Again, the reading comprehension bites your big ass. Do you even know
what the term "Big Brother" actually means? I didn't think so. See
above, you dumb cow.
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
Now you'll have to sit in your shanty and cry to yourself about your
bad decision to buy an i(diot)Phone because you'll be too afraid of
being told "I told you so" to complain here.
I don't know where your "here" is, but it certainly isn't my "here".
But the bottom line is that you are a liar and a hypocrite with
delusions of adequacy, so just fuck off.
We'll find out who the liar and hypocrite is when you buy your dumbass
i(diot)Phone and have buyers regret within six months. I think it's
funny as hell!!
Screw the i(diot)Phone
2007-06-28 04:43:46 UTC
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:27:42 -0700, Michelle Steiner
You are probably one of those big ass bitches who listens to an MP3
player while talking on the phone and putting on makeup and cramming
a Big Mac in your fat face while driving your big ass SUV down the
road.
Wrong again, dogbreath; I am not your mother.
You are a turd. You have always been a turd. You will always be a turd.
Mooo! Mooo! Mooo! Tell me, when you get your i(diot)Phone, are you
going to load up the contact list with the numbers of every takeout
joint in town? Mooo! Mooo! Get on back to the barn, Bessie, it's
milkin' time!

BTW, your followup trick didn't work. I'm no novice, you dumb cow.
Ura Dippschit
2007-06-26 15:33:18 UTC
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
It's a PHONE, goddammit.
No it's NOT, goddammit. Since you are too fucking dense to know WHAT it
actually is, maybe it's time you shut the fuck up!
Screw the i(diot)Phone
2007-06-26 17:50:17 UTC
Post by Ura Dippschit
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
It's a PHONE, goddammit.
No it's NOT, goddammit. Since you are too fucking dense to know WHAT it
actually is, maybe it's time you shut the fuck up!
Says the lemming. It's a phone, which is why it's being sold by a
PHONE COMPANY for use with a PHONE COMPANY'S service. Get it? Good.
Next.
MuahMan
2007-06-26 18:13:52 UTC
Post by Ura Dippschit
Post by Screw the i(diot)Phone
It's a PHONE, goddammit.
No it's NOT, goddammit. Since you are too fucking dense to know WHAT it
actually is, maybe it's time you shut the fuck up!
Says the lemming. It's a phone, which is why it's being sold by a
PHONE COMPANY for use with a PHONE COMPANY'S service. Get it? Good.
Next.
Ura doesn't care what it is. He just know Steve Jobs told him he can't live
without one. So, he can't live without one.
Screw the i(diot)Phone
What is he, retarded?
MuahMan
He's mactarded.
tony
2007-06-28 20:48:31 UTC
Post by Ura Dippschit
No it's NOT, goddammit. Since you are too fucking dense to know WHAT it
actually is, maybe it's time you shut the fuck up!
Says the lemming. It's a phone, which is why it's being sold by a
PHONE COMPANY for use with a PHONE COMPANY'S service. Get it? Good.
Next.
actually tardo, it isnt a phone. its a computer, designed by a
computer manufacturer. this computer runs a unix variant for an OS.
this computer can decode compressed music, much like another non-phone
product called an "iPod". this computer can receive wireless network
signals, and its users can surf the web in a common piece of computer
software called a "web browser". this computer also comes bundled w/
other applications programmed by its manufacturer.

oh, and this computer can make phone calls.

sm
The Natural Philosopher
2007-06-29 07:49:24 UTC
Post by Ura Dippschit
No it's NOT, goddammit. Since you are too fucking dense to know WHAT it
actually is, maybe it's time you shut the fuck up!
Says the lemming. It's a phone, which is why it's being sold by a
PHONE COMPANY for use with a PHONE COMPANY'S service. Get it? Good.
Next.
actually tardo, it isnt a phone. its a computer, designed by a
computer manufacturer. this computer runs a unix variant for an OS.
this computer can decode compressed music, much like another non-phone
product called an "iPod". this computer can receive wireless network
signals, and its users can surf the web in a common piece of computer
software called a "web browser". this computer also comes bundled w/
other applications programmed by its manufacturer.
oh, and this computer can make phone calls.
sm
I assume sm =SeMantics

Everything is a computer these days.
tony
2007-06-29 14:40:45 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
I assume sm =SeMantics
nope, its my email abbreviation.
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Everything is a computer these days.
do they all run unix? full web browsers, w/ javascript parsers?

sm
zeez
2007-06-26 04:25:51 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the iPhone
Post by Meg
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635816,00.html
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you whiney little babies get your
precious i(diot)Phones and discover what a horrible piece of shit it
actually is.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
I'll grant that you're an expert on shit, seeing as how that's what
you're made of, but that doesn't mean that you know shit about cell
phones.
You're just jealous because even though a child can use one intuitively,
you're too stupid to figure it out.
You wish. I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on. Do you think you could hold the grandstanding to a minimum
until you actually have real life experience with the thing, or is
your life *THAT* empty???
The iPhone looks like a nice peice of equipment, but the biggest beef
I have with it is a lack
of an SDK for 3rd party companies, freeware developers, etc. to write
software on it that runs
on the "bare metal" of the phone. This hardware has a hell of a lot of
potential, but if Apple decides
"no SDK", then it's little more than a pretty device, and at the price
it's being sold at, I expect more
than a souped up V-cast style "teenybopper" phone. Personaly, I
wouldn't buy it until an SDK is
released for it.

Also, it appears "Meg" is Astroturfing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing
which is bound to piss
people off.
Screw the i(diot)Phone
2007-06-26 04:39:48 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the iPhone
Post by Meg
[...]
FINALLY!!! Someone with some common sense in this group! At least
you haven't drunk the Kool-aid without finding out what's in it yet.
Ya' think??? ;-)
Rod Speed
2007-06-26 04:39:49 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the iPhone
Post by Meg
[...]
Me neither, but I realise I'm nothing like who its aimed at.

Bet it will do as well as the ipod did, just because
it integrates a decent phone with a media player.

Tho plenty will already have one of those, so it remains to be
seen how much effect being very late to market will have.
Post by zeez
Also, it appears "Meg" is Astroturfing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing
Just mindlessly wanking.
ZnU
2007-06-26 18:14:46 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by zeez
The iPhone looks like a nice peice of equipment, but the biggest beef
I have with it is a lack of an SDK for 3rd party companies, freeware
developers, etc. to write software on it that runs on the "bare metal"
of the phone. This hardware has a hell of a lot of potential, but if Apple
decides "no SDK", then it's little more than a pretty device, and at the
price it's being sold at, I expect more than a souped up V-cast style
"teenybopper" phone. Personaly, I wouldn't buy it until an SDK is released for it.
Me neither, but I realise I'm nothing like who its aimed at.
Bet it will do as well as the ipod did, just because
it integrates a decent phone with a media player.
Tho plenty will already have one of those, so it remains to be
seen how much effect being very late to market will have.
I wouldn't consider Apple to be "very late" to this market. True, some
other devices that combine these capabilities have existed for some
years. But the market for them has never really taken off and gone
mainstream.

Apple introduced the iPod into a market that was in a similar state.

[snip]
--
"That's George Washington, the first president, of course. The interesting thing
about him is that I read three--three or four books about him last year. Isn't
- George W. Bush to reporter Kai Diekmann, May 5, 2006
Rod Speed
2007-06-26 18:56:50 UTC
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by zeez
The iPhone looks like a nice peice of equipment, but the biggest beef
I have with it is a lack of an SDK for 3rd party companies, freeware
developers, etc. to write software on it that runs on the "bare metal"
of the phone. This hardware has a hell of a lot of potential, but
if Apple decides "no SDK", then it's little more than a pretty
device, and at the price it's being sold at, I expect more than a
souped up V-cast style "teenybopper" phone. Personaly, I wouldn't
buy it until an SDK is released for it.
Me neither, but I realise I'm nothing like who its aimed at.
Bet it will do as well as the ipod did, just because
it integrates a decent phone with a media player.
Tho plenty will already have one of those, so it remains to
be seen how much effect being very late to market will have.
I wouldn't consider Apple to be "very late" to this market.
More fool you. High end phones with all sorts of extra capability
have been around for a hell of a long time now, years, literally.
Post by ZnU
True, some other devices that combine these capabilities have existed for some
years. But the market for them has never really taken off and gone mainstream.
Yes, and it wont now, you watch.

Most want a much cheaper phone that combines
phone, media player, camera etc capability.

And those who want to be able to do email etc mostly
want a real keyboard, not a touchscreen one too.
Post by ZnU
Apple introduced the iPod into a market that was in a similar state.
Nope, nothing like it. You dont need much controls wise for a media
player and the ipod design is rather elegant and well done in that regard.
And virtually everyone didnt already have a media player at the time that
the ipod showed up. Virtually everyone already has a cellphone now and
most of those already have a media player now too if they use one much.
Hordes of them have a media player/phone/camera combined already.
SoCalCommie
2007-06-26 19:07:04 UTC
Yes. I'm happy with my Sammy 'Sync' 3.5G (tethered 350 kbps up &
down), 2 Gig MP3 / WMA player w Bluetooth stereo headset, $125 on
eBay. Who NEEDS an iPhone? Not me.

SoCalCommie

"The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot
is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud
of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a
feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance
that leads to war." - Sidney J. Harris
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Michelle Steiner
2007-06-26 21:04:54 UTC
Post by SoCalCommie
"The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the
patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist
is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude
creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of
blind arrogance that leads to war." - Sidney J. Harris
And the nationalist proclaims himself to be a "True Patriot", and
everyone who disagrees with him to be a traitor.

"My country, right or wrong: if right, to be kept right; and if wrong,
to be set right."
Senator Carl Schurz of Missouri, 1899

As true today as it was then.
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
ZnU
2007-06-26 19:31:41 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by ZnU
True, some other devices that combine these capabilities have
existed for some years. But the market for them has never really
taken off and gone mainstream.
Yes, and it wont now, you watch.
Most want a much cheaper phone that combines phone, media player,
camera etc capability.
It might take a couple of years and a couple of price cuts. It did for
the iPod. But it will happen. The iPhone probably won't end up quite as
dominant as the iPod, because its attachment to a single network (at
least in the US) will cause some people to look elsewhere, but it's
going to be a major factor.
Post by Rod Speed
And those who want to be able to do email etc mostly want a real
keyboard, not a touchscreen one too.
Doubt it. Remember, this is a smart phone primarily for the iPod
demographic, not for business types who mostly use the device for
e-mail.

And it's not clear to me that the on-screen keyboard doesn't work just
as well as a physical keyboard. If you mash a couple of adjacent keys on
a physical keyboard, it has no idea which one you were trying to hit. If
you do the same on touch-screen keyboard, it can probably figure out
where the center of your finger was and recover. Plus there's the auto
correction feature.

Plus, with an on-screen input device, you can customize things for every
app. For instance, the on-screen keyboard that comes up when you type in
the URL field of Safari actually has a single key you get hit to insert
".com".
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Apple introduced the iPod into a market that was in a similar state.
Nope, nothing like it. You dont need much controls wise for a media
player and the ipod design is rather elegant and well done in that regard.
And the iPhone has just about the best designed UI I've ever seen on an
actual product that's actually available to the public. Even most
unlikely concept product UI demos one sees don't look as good.
Post by Rod Speed
And virtually everyone didnt already have a media player at
the time that the ipod showed up. Virtually everyone already has a
cellphone now and most of those already have a media player now too
if they use one much. Hordes of them have a media player/phone/camera
combined already.
However, most of those people don't use the media player functions of
their phones, because they use iPods instead. The market has shown that
it greatly values iPods over other media players. I would expect it
would greatly value an iPod phone over other media player phones, for
all the same reasons.

Plus, people replace their phone and media player every couple of years
anyway. And the iPhone isn't all that expensive compared with the cost
of an iPod + a phone. (If you restrict your choice of phone to one of
the few others with a decent web browser, anyway.)
- George W. Bush to reporter Kai Diekmann, May 5, 2006
Rod Speed
2007-06-26 20:08:41 UTC
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by ZnU
True, some other devices that combine these capabilities
have existed for some years. But the market for them has
never really taken off and gone mainstream.
Yes, and it wont now, you watch.
Most want a much cheaper phone that combines phone,
media player, camera etc capability.
It might take a couple of years and a couple of
price cuts. It did for the iPod. But it will happen.
I doubt it with market penetration, essentially because a phone
is much more locked to the telco than a media player ever is
and most care about what their phone plan is costing them, it aint
just the sticker price on the hardware that matters with phones.
Post by ZnU
The iPhone probably won't end up quite as dominant as the iPod,
Nothing like it in fact, if only because so many want a dirt cheap phone instead.

The phone market is VERY different to the media player market.
Post by ZnU
because its attachment to a single network (at least
in the US) will cause some people to look elsewhere,
And because even if the network is acceptible, the calls plan may not be.
Post by ZnU
but it's going to be a major factor.
I doubt it, if only because its so late to market. Everyone who wants a high end
phone already has one and its unlikely to be their first high end phone either.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
And those who want to be able to do email etc mostly
want a real keyboard, not a touchscreen one too.
Doubt it.
Have a look at the high end phones.
Post by ZnU
Remember, this is a smart phone primarily for the iPod demographic,
If thats so, they're fucked because so many already
have a phone and media player and camera combined.

Very late to market with theirs again.
Post by ZnU
not for business types who mostly use the device for e-mail.
Sure, its not going to appeal to too many of those, just because it has no keyboard.
Post by ZnU
And it's not clear to me that the on-screen keyboard doesn't work
just as well as a physical keyboard. If you mash a couple of adjacent
keys on a physical keyboard, it has no idea which one you were
trying to hit. If you do the same on touch-screen keyboard, it can
probably figure out where the center of your finger was and recover.
That doesnt really happen enough to matter much.

The problem is more that the screen is filled with the
touchscreen keyboard on those tiny screens and so you
cant read the email you are replying too at the same time.

Doesnt matter with a GPS where you are only entering a street
and town name and you get to select from a list once you have
typed a couple of letters, but email cant be done like that.
Post by ZnU
Plus there's the auto correction feature.
Sure.
Post by ZnU
Plus, with an on-screen input device, you can customize things
for every app. For instance, the on-screen keyboard that comes
up when you type in the URL field of Safari actually has a single
key you get hit to insert ".com".
Sure, it would be fine for browsing, just not for emails.

And anyone with a clue uses favourites with browsing anyway and
a touchscreen does those even better than a physical keyboard.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Apple introduced the iPod into a market that was in a similar state.
Nope, nothing like it. You dont need much controls wise for a media
player and the ipod design is rather elegant and well done in that regard.
And the iPhone has just about the best designed UI I've ever
seen on an actual product that's actually available to the public.
Sure, but it remains to be seen what they have done about back in the computer.
If its anything like the iPod there, its pretty primitive back in the computer.
Post by ZnU
Even most unlikely concept product UI demos one sees don't look as good.
My main reservation is with the the two finger approach,
cant see that being too viable in a phone where you mostly
hold it in one hand and use the other on the screen.

Maybe you wont do the two finger stuff enough to matter tho.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
And virtually everyone didnt already have a media player at
the time that the ipod showed up. Virtually everyone already
has a cellphone now and most of those already have a media
player now too if they use one much. Hordes of them have a
media player/phone/camera combined already.
However, most of those people don't use the media player
functions of their phones, because they use iPods instead.
That is just plain wrong when their phone has a media player.
Post by ZnU
The market has shown that it greatly values iPods over other media players.
Yes, but its different when the phone is also a media player as most are now.
Post by ZnU
I would expect it would greatly value an iPod phone over
other media player phones, for all the same reasons.
Maybe, but the problem Apple has is that they already have those media player
phones because Apple is so late to market with theirs and its locked to AT&T too.
Post by ZnU
Plus, people replace their phone and media player every couple of years anyway.
Sure, thats certainly one thing in Apple's favour, but you dont see
too many change platform completely. Thats what fucked the Mac.
Post by ZnU
And the iPhone isn't all that expensive compared
with the cost of an iPod + a phone.
Thats not a valid comparison, you should be comparing it with other media player phones.
There's plenty with that capability now, with media player and camera and often GPS as well.
ZnU
2007-06-26 20:57:38 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
It might take a couple of years and a couple of
price cuts. It did for the iPod. But it will happen.
I doubt it with market penetration, essentially because a phone
is much more locked to the telco than a media player ever is
and most care about what their phone plan is costing them, it aint
just the sticker price on the hardware that matters with phones.
The major carriers in the US are all fairly competitive on price. AT&T
isn't at a particular disadvantage there.

[snip]
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
And those who want to be able to do email etc mostly
want a real keyboard, not a touchscreen one too.
Doubt it.
Have a look at the high end phones.
Um. Well, yes, if you assume that people want what existing phones
offer, and not what the iPhone offers, then of course the iPhone won't
amount to much. But since the issue we're discussing is, basically,
whether people want the iPhone, assuming at the start that they don't
isn't a valid thing to do.

[snip]
Post by Rod Speed
Doesnt matter with a GPS where you are only entering a street
and town name and you get to select from a list once you have
typed a couple of letters, but email cant be done like that.
OK, but unlike for the Blackberry, e-mail is not the "killer app" for
the iPhone. The media player function is, and to a lesser extent
probably the mapping and web browsing functions. Not to mention just the
slick all-around UI, for everything from SMS to contact management to
conference calling. All of these benefit from the fact that almost the
entire face of the device is covered with a screen, instead of half of
if being taken up by a physical keyboard.

[snip]
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Even most unlikely concept product UI demos one sees don't look as good.
My main reservation is with the the two finger approach,
cant see that being too viable in a phone where you mostly
hold it in one hand and use the other on the screen.
Maybe you wont do the two finger stuff enough to matter tho.
The two-finger stuff is mostly used for resizing images and such, using
a pinching motion with the thumb and index finger of the same had. So,
it's fine one-handed.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
And virtually everyone didnt already have a media player at
the time that the ipod showed up. Virtually everyone already
has a cellphone now and most of those already have a media
player now too if they use one much. Hordes of them have a
media player/phone/camera combined already.
However, most of those people don't use the media player
functions of their phones, because they use iPods instead.
That is just plain wrong when their phone has a media player.
Not in my experience, it's not. Many phones sold these days have a music
player function. Most users don't even know their phone has it. And even
if they did, they wouldn't want to use a media player that didn't sync
with iTunes automatically, since that's where they probably have their
music.

[snip]
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Plus, people replace their phone and media player every couple of years anyway.
Sure, thats certainly one thing in Apple's favour, but you dont see
too many change platform completely. Thats what fucked the Mac.
Most people don't really think of mobile phones as "platforms", though.
Switching from a Motorola phone (or whatever) to an iPhone isn't nearly
like switching from Windows to the Mac. The vast majority of users have
no third-party applications at all and no data beyond contact
information and photos, all of which can be ported over (well, if their
current phone can sync it to a computer at all).
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
And the iPhone isn't all that expensive compared
with the cost of an iPod + a phone.
Thats not a valid comparison, you should be comparing it with other media player phones.
The market has clearly expressed that "media player" does not equal
"iPod".

I suppose we could compare it to all the other iPod phones. After Apple
makes more models. <g>

[snip]
- George W. Bush to reporter Kai Diekmann, May 5, 2006
Rod Speed
2007-06-26 21:38:06 UTC
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
It might take a couple of years and a couple of
price cuts. It did for the iPod. But it will happen.
I doubt it with market penetration, essentially because a phone
is much more locked to the telco than a media player ever is
and most care about what their phone plan is costing them, it aint
just the sticker price on the hardware that matters with phones.
The major carriers in the US are all fairly competitive on price.
Not necessarily on what they offer with a particular phone tho.
Post by ZnU
AT&T isn't at a particular disadvantage there.
Some dont get effective coverage from them tho.

You dont get that effect with media players.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
And those who want to be able to do email etc mostly
want a real keyboard, not a touchscreen one too.
Doubt it.
Have a look at the high end phones.
Um. Well, yes, if you assume that people want what
existing phones offer, and not what the iPhone offers,
Wasnt doing that, just looking at what the manufacturers of those
phones have researched what the buyers want feature wise.
Post by ZnU
then of course the iPhone won't amount to much. But since the issue
we're discussing is, basically, whether people want the iPhone,
That wasnt what was being discussed in this sub thread.
Post by ZnU
assuming at the start that they don't isn't a valid thing to do.
Pity I never did that.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
And it's not clear to me that the on-screen keyboard doesn't work
just as well as a physical keyboard. If you mash a couple of adjacent
keys on a physical keyboard, it has no idea which one you were
trying to hit. If you do the same on touch-screen keyboard, it can
probably figure out where the center of your finger was and recover.
That doesnt really happen enough to matter much.
The problem is more that the screen is filled with the
touchscreen keyboard on those tiny screens and so you
cant read the email you are replying too at the same time.
Doesnt matter with a GPS where you are only entering a street
and town name and you get to select from a list once you have
typed a couple of letters, but email cant be done like that.
OK, but unlike for the Blackberry, e-mail is not the "killer app" for the iPhone.
There is no "killer app" for the iPhone, there are hordes of phones
with media players and cameras that have been around for years now.
Post by ZnU
The media player function is,
Nope, because that wont kill a damned thing given that there are hordes of
Post by ZnU
and to a lesser extent probably the mapping and web browsing functions.
More everything in the one device, mapping, browsing, email, camera, media player etc.

And thats where the iphone may well fail, when you cant run Quicken etc on it etc.
Post by ZnU
Not to mention just the slick all-around UI, for everything
from SMS to contact management to conference calling.
Sure, but the UI on most phones is already quite adequate in those areas.
Post by ZnU
All of these benefit from the fact that almost the entire
face of the device is covered with a screen, instead of
half of if being taken up by a physical keyboard.
There's plenty of other phones like that now.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Even most unlikely concept product UI demos one sees don't look as good.
My main reservation is with the the two finger approach,
cant see that being too viable in a phone where you mostly
hold it in one hand and use the other on the screen.
Maybe you wont do the two finger stuff enough to matter tho.
The two-finger stuff is mostly used for resizing images
and such, using a pinching motion with the thumb and
index finger of the same had. So, it's fine one-handed.
Maybe.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
And virtually everyone didnt already have a media player at
the time that the ipod showed up. Virtually everyone already
has a cellphone now and most of those already have a media
player now too if they use one much. Hordes of them have a
media player/phone/camera combined already.
However, most of those people don't use the media player
functions of their phones, because they use iPods instead.
That is just plain wrong when their phone has a media player.
Not in my experience, it's not. Many phones sold these days have a
music player function. Most users don't even know their phone has it.
Oh bullshit.
Post by ZnU
And even if they did, they wouldn't want to use a media
player that didn't sync with iTunes automatically, since
that's where they probably have their music.
Pity about the convenience of both in the one device.

You're completely off with the fairys on this one.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Plus, people replace their phone and media
player every couple of years anyway.
Sure, thats certainly one thing in Apple's favour, but you dont see
too many change platform completely. Thats what fucked the Mac.
Most people don't really think of mobile phones as "platforms", though.
You just said they do with your iTunes comment above.
Post by ZnU
Switching from a Motorola phone (or whatever) to an
iPhone isn't nearly like switching from Windows to the Mac.
In some ways its worse because the UI is so different
between a Motorola and a Nokia for example.
Post by ZnU
The vast majority of users have no third-party applications at all
Correct. But plenty do on their high end phones,
particularly stuff like TomTom 6 and Quicken etc.
Post by ZnU
and no data beyond contact information and photos, all of which can be
ported over (well, if their current phone can sync it to a computer at all).
It remains to be seen how bullet proof that is with the iphone.

Bet it turns out to be the area with by far the most problems.
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
And the iPhone isn't all that expensive compared with the cost of an iPod + a phone.
Thats not a valid comparison, you should be comparing it with other media player phones.
The market has clearly expressed that "media player" does not equal "iPod".
Not with combined media players and phones it hasnt.
Post by ZnU
I suppose we could compare it to all the other iPod phones.
Nope.
Even later to market. Bet its too late and they never do as well as the ipod did.
ZnU
2007-06-26 22:28:01 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Have a look at the high end phones.
Um. Well, yes, if you assume that people want what
existing phones offer, and not what the iPhone offers,
Wasnt doing that, just looking at what the manufacturers of those
phones have researched what the buyers want feature wise.
IOW, you're assuming current phones get it right and the iPhone gets it
wrong.

[snip]
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
OK, but unlike for the Blackberry, e-mail is not the "killer app" for the iPhone.
There is no "killer app" for the iPhone, there are hordes of phones
with media players and cameras that have been around for years now.
OK, this shows that you've seriously missed the point.

[snip]
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Not in my experience, it's not. Many phones sold these days have a
music player function. Most users don't even know their phone has it.
Oh bullshit.
Just posted elsewhere:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/local/chi-sun_iphone_0624jun24,1
,751030.story?page=2&coll=chi-technologylocal-hed

Motorola and other phonemakers have been stuffing their wares with
Web-browsing and music- and video-playing capabilities. But U.S.
consumers still don't seem to choose their phones based on such features.

"I don't think many people go out and buy a phone and say, 'I'm going
for the music part of it, I'm going for the video part of it,'" said
Neil Strother, a wireless industry analyst at Jupiter Research. But if
the iPhone succeeds, such multimedia phones should really take root,
spurring more innovation, too, at established phonemakers, he said.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
And even if they did, they wouldn't want to use a media
player that didn't sync with iTunes automatically, since
that's where they probably have their music.
Pity about the convenience of both in the one device.
Yes, which is exactly what will sell iPhones. If you want an iPod as
opposed to a "music player" (and most people do), and you want phone
features in the same device, the iPhone is your only option.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Sure, thats certainly one thing in Apple's favour, but you dont see
too many change platform completely. Thats what fucked the Mac.
Most people don't really think of mobile phones as "platforms", though.
You just said they do with your iTunes comment above.
I was discussing how many people had iPods in addition to "music player"
phones because they wanted iPods as opposed to generic "music player"
functionality. This implies that people use the platform concept with
respect to music players, which I think is clearly the case. It doesn't
imply they do with respect to phones.

With the except of the small fraction of people who buy Treo and Windows
Mobile devices, the platform concept is nearly meaningless in the mobile
phone market.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Switching from a Motorola phone (or whatever) to an
iPhone isn't nearly like switching from Windows to the Mac.
In some ways its worse because the UI is so different
between a Motorola and a Nokia for example.
People are almost certainly going to have an easier time using an iPhone
than their current phone. The iPhone is designed so much better than
other phones that it will offset any lack of familiarity. Most people
barely know how to use their phones to begin with.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
The vast majority of users have no third-party applications at all
Correct. But plenty do on their high end phones,
particularly stuff like TomTom 6 and Quicken etc.
"Plenty" being probably 1% of the overall market.

Again, this isn't necessarily a phone designed for people who already
buy high-priced smart phones. It's a phone designed for people who buy
*iPods*.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
and no data beyond contact information and photos, all of which can be
ported over (well, if their current phone can sync it to a computer at all).
It remains to be seen how bullet proof that is with the iphone.
Bet it turns out to be the area with by far the most problems.
Why? Apple has lots of experience with this. The iPhone uses an updated
version of the iPod syncing mechanism, and iSync on OS X has been
syncing with non-Apple phones for years.

[snip]
- George W. Bush to reporter Kai Diekmann, May 5, 2006
Michelle Steiner
2007-06-26 22:46:51 UTC
Posted to comp.sys.mac.system only
Post by ZnU
Why? Apple has lots of experience with this. The iPhone uses an
updated version of the iPod syncing mechanism, and iSync on OS X has
been syncing with non-Apple phones for years.
Actually, it uses iTunes, not iSync.
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
Rod Speed
2007-06-26 23:20:00 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Have a look at the high end phones.
Um. Well, yes, if you assume that people want what
existing phones offer, and not what the iPhone offers,
Wasnt doing that, just looking at what the manufacturers of those
phones have researched what the buyers want feature wise.
IOW, you're assuming current phones get it right and the iPhone gets it wrong.
Nope. Just that its a tad unlikely that those manufacturers who included
a full physical keyboard didnt do that for a reason and that Apple may
well have decided that the iPhone wont be used for email much and so it
doesnt matter if its got a much more limited touch screen keyboard instead.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
OK, but unlike for the Blackberry, e-mail is not the "killer app" for the iPhone.
There is no "killer app" for the iPhone, there are hordes of phones
with media players and cameras that have been around for years now.
OK, this shows that you've seriously missed the point.
Nope, you have.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Not in my experience, it's not. Many phones sold these days have a
music player function. Most users don't even know their phone has it.
Oh bullshit.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/local/chi-sun_iphone_0624jun24,1
,751030.story?page=2&coll=chi-technologylocal-hed
Motorola and other phonemakers have been stuffing their wares with
Web-browsing and music- and video-playing capabilities. But U.S.
consumers still don't seem to choose their phones based on such features.
Separate matter entirely to your claim above.
"I don't think many people go out and buy a phone and say, 'I'm going
for the music part of it, I'm going for the video part of it,'" said
Neil Strother, a wireless industry analyst at Jupiter Research.
Nothing like your silly claim above.
But if the iPhone succeeds, such multimedia phones should really take
root, spurring more innovation, too, at established phonemakers, he said.
That might well happen with the touch screen UI, but its already
happened YEARS ago now with media players and cameras etc,
LONG before the iPhone ever showed up.
Post by ZnU
And even if they did, they wouldn't want to use a media
player that didn't sync with iTunes automatically, since
that's where they probably have their music.
Pity about the convenience of both in the one device.
Yes, which is exactly what will sell iPhones.
Nope, there are fuck all silly enough to have
both a phone thats a media player and an ipod.
If you want an iPod as opposed to a "music player" (and most people do),
No they dont. In spades with those who have a media player in their phone.
and you want phone features in the same device, the iPhone is your only option.
No it isnt.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Post by Rod Speed
Sure, thats certainly one thing in Apple's favour, but you dont see
too many change platform completely. Thats what fucked the Mac.
Most people don't really think of mobile phones as "platforms", though.
You just said they do with your iTunes comment above.
I was discussing how many people had iPods in addition
to "music player" phones because they wanted iPods as
opposed to generic "music player" functionality.
That wasnt your iTunes comment.
This implies that people use the platform concept with respect to music players,
which I think is clearly the case. It doesn't imply they do with respect to phones.
They do anyway, just because of the radical differences in how the menus are structured etc.

There's plenty that choose to stick with Nokia's just because their menus
etc are much more intuitive than say with Motorola and LG in spades.
With the except of the small fraction of people who buy
Treo and Windows Mobile devices, the platform concept
is nearly meaningless in the mobile phone market.
Not with the UI it aint.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Switching from a Motorola phone (or whatever) to an
iPhone isn't nearly like switching from Windows to the Mac.
In some ways its worse because the UI is so different
between a Motorola and a Nokia for example.
People are almost certainly going to have an easier
time using an iPhone than their current phone.
We'll see with Nokias particularly.
The iPhone is designed so much better than other
phones that it will offset any lack of familiarity.
Easy to claim. It remains to be seen how valid that claim actually is.
Most people barely know how to use their phones to begin with.
Most can use it for what they bought it for.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
The vast majority of users have no third-party applications at all
Correct. But plenty do on their high end phones,
particularly stuff like TomTom 6 and Quicken etc.
"Plenty" being probably 1% of the overall market.
Thats why I said 'correct'
Again, this isn't necessarily a phone designed for
people who already buy high-priced smart phones.
It's a phone designed for people who buy *iPods*.
Pity so many buy phones with media players and cameras too.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
and no data beyond contact information and photos, all of which can be
ported over (well, if their current phone can sync it to a computer at all).
It remains to be seen how bullet proof that is with the iphone.
Bet it turns out to be the area with by far the most problems.
Why?
Because thats always a major problem when changing phones
except with the real dinosaurs that have everything in the sim.
And is still the area where most have the most problems.
ZnU
2007-06-26 23:43:35 UTC
[snip]

You're responding to individual sentences rather than to my actual
points, and trying to start arguments about who said what to distract
from the actual discussion.

We get enough of that sort of thing from our resident CSMA trolls. I
don't really have the patience for it.
Post by Rod Speed
This implies that people use the platform concept with respect to
music players, which I think is clearly the case. It doesn't imply
they do with respect to phones.
They do anyway, just because of the radical differences in how the
menus are structured etc.
There's plenty that choose to stick with Nokia's just because their
menus etc are much more intuitive than say with Motorola and LG in
spades.
With the except of the small fraction of people who buy Treo and
Windows Mobile devices, the platform concept is nearly meaningless
in the mobile phone market.
Not with the UI it aint.
I haven't gotten the impression most people are particularly attached
to their user interfaces. In fact, most people seem to hate the UI of
current phones.

[snip]
Post by Rod Speed
Apple has lots of experience with this.
The iPhone uses an updated version of the iPod syncing mechanism,
and iSync on OS X has been syncing with non-Apple phones for years.
And is still the area where most have the most problems.
OK, but the problems you're talking about here are problems with *any*
phone switch. They have nothing to do with the iPhone in particular.

Most people, as far as I've seen, just end up manually re-entering their
contact information anyway.
- George W. Bush to reporter Kai Diekmann, May 5, 2006
Rod Speed
2007-06-27 01:03:30 UTC
You're responding to individual sentences rather than to my actual points,
Nope.
and trying to start arguments about who said what to distract from the actual discussion.
Nope.
We get enough of that sort of thing from our resident CSMA trolls.
Just how many of you are there between those ears ?
I don't really have the patience for it.
Your problem.

What you really dont have the patience for is having your nose rubbed in your stupiditys.
Post by ZnU
With the except of the small fraction of people who buy
Treo and Windows Mobile devices, the platform concept
is nearly meaningless in the mobile phone market.
Not with the UI it aint.
I haven't gotten the impression most people are
particularly attached to their user interfaces.
You need to get out more.
In fact, most people seem to hate the UI of current phones.
Most dont with Nokias.

And you dont know that they will lover the iPhone UI either, particularly
the rather fucked scrolling around when you're using decent legible fonts.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Apple has lots of experience with this.
The iPhone uses an updated version of the iPod syncing mechanism,
and iSync on OS X has been syncing with non-Apple phones for years.
And is still the area where most have the most problems.
OK, but the problems you're talking about
here are problems with *any* phone switch.
Nope, not when you stick with the same manufacturer.
They have nothing to do with the iPhone in particular.
Corse they do when its their first.
Only the fools.
ZnU
2007-06-27 01:07:46 UTC
You're responding to individual sentences rather than to my actual points,
Nope.
and trying to start arguments about who said what to distract from the
actual discussion.
Nope.
OK, so we're done here.

[snip]
- George W. Bush to reporter Kai Diekmann, May 5, 2006
Rod Speed
You've always been done, like a dinner.
tony
2007-06-28 21:37:00 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Nope, there are fuck all silly enough to have
both a phone thats a media player and an ipod.
rubbish. people arent going to give up their itunes playlists and easy-
as-pie syncing, just to use their latest random cellphone's media
player. it makes far more sense to stick to what ya know, and keep
using your managed itunes system.

cell phone makers have shown they arent very good at making media
players that people care about. and certainly never one people would
abandon itunes in favor of. why learn a whole new system when you have
one that works very well?
Post by Rod Speed
If you want an iPod as opposed to a "music player" (and most people do),
No they dont.
but they do. see ipod sales. its about the UI, the syncing, and the
style. ipod != "random media player"
Post by Rod Speed
The iPhone is designed so much better than other
phones that it will offset any lack of familiarity.
Easy to claim. It remains to be seen how valid that claim actually is.
the track record is in apples favor, here. see Mac, and iPod. they
would appear to know how to "do" design. popular design. pay-a-premium
design (tho now of course, due to immense popularity & mass
production, ipods are down to trinket cost).
Post by Rod Speed
Most people barely know how to use their phones to begin with.
Most can use it for what they bought it for.
...which has historically been talking. but for people looking to
consolidate devices, which is who i believe the iphone is marketed to,
then "what they bought it for" becomes talking, media, internet.
Post by Rod Speed
It's a phone designed for people who buy *iPods*.
Pity so many buy phones with media players and cameras too.
pfft. media players & cameras are bundled trinkets in today's
cellphones. the majority of everyday phones w/ them are not purchased
due to their inclusion; these phones were bought (or promo-ed) for
talking. not so w/ iPhone.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-28 22:28:32 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Nope, there are fuck all silly enough to have
both a phone thats a media player and an ipod.
rubbish. people arent going to give up their itunes playlists and easy-
as-pie syncing, just to use their latest random cellphone's media player.
There's plenty that do playlists too, in fact almost all of them do.

Plenty that are just as easy to synch too.
Post by tony
it makes far more sense to stick to what ya know,
and keep using your managed itunes system.
There's fuck all likely to piss $5/600+ and a 2 year $50/90
per month against the wall on an iphone just for that.

And plenty dont even like iTunes too.
Post by tony
cell phone makers have shown they arent very good
at making media players that people care about.
Easy to claim...
Post by tony
why learn a whole new system when you have one that works very well?
Why piss $5/600+ and a 2 year $50/90 per month against the wall
on an iphone just to keep that ? And end with a rather shitty camera,
a completely fucked cellphone network, no way to run 3rd party
apps, no removable battery, no sim, etc etc etc.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
If you want an iPod as opposed to a "music player" (and most people do),
No they dont.
but they do. see ipod sales.
See the sales of all those phones with media players and non ipod media players.
Post by tony
its about the UI, the syncing, and the style. ipod != "random media player"
None of the are JUST random media players and most
dont mindlessly play the same playlist all the time anyway.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
The iPhone is designed so much better than other
phones that it will offset any lack of familiarity.
Easy to claim. It remains to be seen how valid that claim actually is.
the track record is in apples favor, here.
Nope.
Post by tony
see Mac,
Useless, sweet fuck all of the market even bother with it.
Post by tony
and iPod. they would appear to know how to "do" design.
Doesnt mean that it ever takes off tho. Look at the Newton.
Post by tony
popular design.
The Mac and Newton clearly arent.
Post by tony
pay-a-premium design (tho now of course, due to immense
popularity & mass production, ipods are down to trinket cost).
And the Mac and the Newton never were except when
the Newtons were being flushed where they belonged.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Most people barely know how to use their phones to begin with.
Most can use it for what they bought it for.
...which has historically been talking. but for people looking to
consolidate devices, which is who i believe the iphone is marketed
to, then "what they bought it for" becomes talking, media, internet.
Plenty of phone can do that, YEARS before the iphone.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
It's a phone designed for people who buy *iPods*.
Pity so many buy phones with media players and cameras too.
pfft.
You're not supposed to fart in usenet.
Post by tony
media players & cameras are bundled trinkets in today's cellphones.
Nope, plenty have enough of a clue to want that stuff in one device.
Post by tony
the majority of everyday phones w/ them are not purchased due to
their inclusion; these phones were bought (or promo-ed) for talking.
Wrong with the high end phones and pdas.
Post by tony
not so w/ iPhone.
Pity its so pathetically late to market.

Pity its on such a fucked cellphone network.

Pity about how fucked the camera is.

Pity that it doesnt even have a removable battery.

Pity that it cant even use cards.

Pity it doesnt even have a GPS.
tony
2007-06-28 22:57:57 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
There's plenty that do playlists too, in fact almost all of them do.
Plenty that are just as easy to synch too.
so you can sync w/ your itunes managed music collection? it will auto
sync based on your prefs, load desired playlists, etc? and all w/o
software (as you claim)! amazing. er wait, they do use software? so
why would i want to abandon my ipod for a new random cell+media
system? wouldnt.
Post by Rod Speed
There's fuck all likely to piss $5/600+ and a 2 year $50/90
per month against the wall on an iphone just for that.
i like how you copy & paste the same crap. ok, here i go again...
$60/80 is on par w/ what many people are (wait for it) *already
paying*. i pay ~70 bucks for my package, and i dont even get data. and
im in a contract, and have always been in a contract. so, when mine
expires, why *wouldnt* i want to pay only 60/80 in a new contract?
further, $500 isnt that much to some people. i spent $400 in '99 for
my nokia 8800. it didnt do anything, and i loved the hell outta it. so
now i can pay a little more for a mobile computer, *and* it can sync
w/ my itunes? sign me up.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
cell phone makers have shown they arent very good
at making media players that people care about.
Easy to claim...
yep. it sure is.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
why learn a whole new system when you have one that works very well?
Why piss $5/600+ and a 2 year $50/90 per month against the wall
actually, its 60/80, according to the NYT.
Post by Rod Speed
no way to run 3rd party apps,
crazy thing about computers -- updates. its this thing called
"software"...they call it "soft" because it changes. usually does, in
fact.
Post by Rod Speed
no removable battery,
that is lame.
Post by Rod Speed
no sim,
not according to the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/business/20070627_POGUE_GRAPHIC.html
Post by Rod Speed
etc etc etc.
what etc etc?
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
If you want an iPod as opposed to a "music player" (and most people do),
No they dont.
but they do. see ipod sales.
See the sales of all those phones with media players and non ipod media players.
youve lost the context. the orig quote was saying that apple's
superior UI is marketworthy -- the proof being that folks prefer ipods
to any other mp3 player. nothing to do w/ phones here, skippy.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
The iPhone is designed so much better than other
phones that it will offset any lack of familiarity.
Easy to claim. It remains to be seen how valid that claim actually is.
the track record is in apples favor, here.
Nope.
um, but it is. everyone knows apple does UI best. even developers at
competing companies say so. look it up.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
see Mac,
Useless, sweet fuck all of the market even bother with it.
popularity and superior product arent always relational. toyoto is far
more popular than lamborghini, but.. well, you get the idea.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
and iPod. they would appear to know how to "do" design.
Doesnt mean that it ever takes off tho. Look at the Newton.
look at ipod.
Post by Rod Speed
The Mac and Newton clearly arent.
the mac is, and continues to sell well -- remember apple has billions
in the bank, and has had billions in the bank.

the newton. well... youve picked one weak product out of two decades.
congrats.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
...which has historically been talking. but for people looking to
consolidate devices, which is who i believe the iphone is marketed
to, then "what they bought it for" becomes talking, media, internet.
Plenty of phone can do that, YEARS before the iphone.
oh? what other phones sport a full web browser, standards based,
javascript/ajax apps, etc...? and what other phones support itunes?
cuz see, to me, those things are a requirement of doing what i want
well.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
media players & cameras are bundled trinkets in today's cellphones.
Nope, plenty have enough of a clue to want that stuff in one device.
oh, i see -- so youve given up your digital camera in favor of your
phone? you dont want a regular cam, w/ good glass & optics, superior
censor quality, image stabilization, etc? interesting. me, ill keep my
regular camera handy, and use my phonecam for taking pictures
of....hmm. let me get back to you on that one.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
the majority of everyday phones w/ them are not purchased due to
their inclusion; these phones were bought (or promo-ed) for talking.
Wrong with the high end phones and pdas.
which are not the majority of "everyday" phones. thus the label "high
end".
Post by Rod Speed
Pity it doesnt even have a GPS.
you mean user-accessible gps...all cell handset hardware has them as
per the e911 requirement. bet a future version lets you use it. cuz
you know, apple is clever like that.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-28 23:39:27 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
There's plenty that do playlists too, in fact almost all
of them do. Plenty that are just as easy to synch too.
so you can sync w/ your itunes managed music collection?
Nope, you synch with its own music collection and
that can use the itunes managed music collection.
Post by tony
it will auto sync based on your prefs, load desired playlists, etc?
Yep.
Post by tony
and all w/o software (as you claim)!
Never ever said anything remotely resembling anything like that.
Post by tony
amazing. er wait, they do use software? so why would i want
to abandon my ipod for a new random cell+media system?
It aint random and it will do anything itunes can do, and you get
everything in the one device instead of in separate devices.
Post by tony
wouldnt.
You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

You're just another mindless apple sucker.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
There's fuck all likely to piss $5/600+ and a 2 year $50/90
per month against the wall on an iphone just for that.
i like how you copy & paste the same crap.
Fools like you cant manage to comprehend even the simplest stuff the
first time around. Just like with a dog or a small child, the key is repetition.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
cell phone makers have shown they arent very good
at making media players that people care about.
Easy to claim...
yep. it sure is.
Hell of a lot harder to substantiate that claim.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
no way to run 3rd party apps,
crazy thing about computers -- updates. its this thing called "software"...
they call it "soft" because it changes. usually does, in fact.
Useless if they choose not to offer what you need.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
no removable battery,
that is lame.
Nope, it means that you can replace that cheaply when it inevitably dies.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
no sim,
They're wrong, the EDGE system doesnt use sims.
Post by tony
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/business/20070627_POGUE_GRAPHIC.html
Post by Rod Speed
etc etc etc.
what etc etc?
No storage cards, no decent camera, no video recording,

Plenty more at the bottom of that post that you carefully deleted from the quoting.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
If you want an iPod as opposed to a "music player" (and most people do),
No they dont.
but they do. see ipod sales.
See the sales of all those phones with media players and non ipod media players.
youve lost the context.
Nope.
Post by tony
the orig quote was saying that apple's superior UI is marketworthy
No it didnt.
Post by tony
nothing to do w/ phones here, skippy.
Everything to do with what other media players get bought, monkey.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
The iPhone is designed so much better than other
phones that it will offset any lack of familiarity.
Easy to claim. It remains to be seen how valid that claim actually is.
the track record is in apples favor, here.
Nope.
um, but it is.
Nope. Apple had ONE real success, the ipod, and host of complete duds too.
Post by tony
everyone knows apple does UI best.
No they dont, the Newton had a completely fucked UI.
Post by tony
even developers at competing companies say so. look it up.
Look up the netwon.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
see Mac,
Useless, sweet fuck all of the market even bother with it.
popularity and superior product arent always relational.
Doesnt make it a superior product just claiming that it is either.
Post by tony
toyoto is far more popular than lamborghini, but.. well, you get the idea.
That complete wank isnt a superior product.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
and iPod. they would appear to know how to "do" design.
Doesnt mean that it ever takes off tho. Look at the Newton.
look at ipod.
You made the stupid claim that all apple products take off, they clearly dont.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
The Mac and Newton clearly arent.
the mac is, and continues to sell well
Nope, its just a tiny niche market product that hardly
anyone even considers except previous suckers.
Post by tony
-- remember apple has billions in the bank, and has had billions in the bank.
And it would have sunk beneath the waves if it hadnt been for the ipod.
Post by tony
the newton. well... youve picked one weak product out of two decades.
There's been a lot more than one dud in those two decades.
Post by tony
congrats.
Pffft.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
...which has historically been talking. but for people looking to
consolidate devices, which is who i believe the iphone is marketed
to, then "what they bought it for" becomes talking, media, internet.
Plenty of phone can do that, YEARS before the iphone.
oh?
Yep.
Post by tony
what other phones sport a full web browser,
standards based, javascript/ajax apps, etc...?
Utterly bogus slipping in that standards based, and plenty do anyway.
Post by tony
and what other phones support itunes?
They all support other ways of loading their media player.

Much more intuitive ways like appearing as a drive on
the computer for that too, something the ipod cant do.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
media players & cameras are bundled trinkets in today's cellphones.
Nope, plenty have enough of a clue to want that stuff in one device.
oh, i see
Nope, you never ever do.
Post by tony
-- so youve given up your digital camera in favor of your phone?
Nope, I have a camera in the phone where its convenient to use
for the usual unplanned camera use that happens all the time.
Post by tony
you dont want a regular cam, w/ good glass & optics,
superior censor quality, image stabilization, etc?
I want the convenience of the camera in the phone too.
Post by tony
interesting.
Pathetic.
Post by tony
me, ill keep my regular camera handy, and use my phonecam for
taking pictures of....hmm. let me get back to you on that one.
Plenty of things like whats on offer when looking around for a particular
item and seeing who is offering what. Evidence after some fool runs into
your car. The model plate on an appliance when you are hunting for parts
for it. The old part you need to replace. The problem with the current one.
Etc etc etc.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
the majority of everyday phones w/ them are not purchased due to
their inclusion; these phones were bought (or promo-ed) for talking.
Wrong with the high end phones and pdas.
which are not the majority of "everyday" phones. thus the label "high end".
True in spades of the iphone.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Pity it doesnt even have a GPS.
you mean user-accessible gps...
Yep, or app accessible, anyway.
Pity its so late to market on that.
Todd Allcock
2007-06-29 04:40:55 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
They're wrong, the EDGE system doesnt use sims.
EDGE is enhanced GPRS, which is GSM, which uses SIMs.

The "no SIM" misconception stems from the lack of obvious opening in the
case in the preproduction demos to insert/remove one.

I assume it's simply preinstalled and/or inserts/removes via a less-than-
obvious opening.

Every other Cingular GSM phone uses a SIM- so will this one, "child."
tony
2007-06-29 15:01:28 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
and all w/o software (as you claim)!
Never ever said anything remotely resembling anything like that.
actually, you did. no "crapware" required -- remember?
Post by Rod Speed
It aint random and it will do anything itunes can do, and you get
everything in the one device instead of in separate devices.
sorta like....an iphone. but not as handy. got it.
Post by Rod Speed
You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.
You're just another mindless apple sucker.
"Rrreow!" here come them nasty claws! watch out! hate to puncture your
crippled world view, in which everyone who disagrees w/ you is a mac
addict, but as i said very clearly, im a microsoft developer. look up
my posts elsewhere.
Post by Rod Speed
Fools like you cant manage to comprehend even the simplest stuff the
first time around. Just like with a dog or a small child, the key is repetition.
"Watch out boys, he's got his fangs out!" nasty stray cat, nasty!
Post by Rod Speed
Hell of a lot harder to substantiate that claim.
actually, its a well commented claim. read another article just
yesterday. google it; im not gonna do the work for you.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
crazy thing about computers -- updates. its this thing called "software"...
they call it "soft" because it changes. usually does, in fact.
Useless if they choose not to offer what you need.
you miss the point -- *soft*ware, it gets updated. often.
Post by Rod Speed
They're wrong, the EDGE system doesnt use sims.
youre wrong.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
the track record is in apples favor, here.
Nope.
um, but it is.
Nope. Apple had ONE real success, the ipod, and host of complete duds too.
one! please my good man... maybe youre too young to remember, but do
you know what made apple the billion dollar enterprise it is today?
computers! apple IIe, and the first mac. like the ipod, they didnt
invent something new, but made existing tech much easier to use. look
it up.
Post by tony
even developers at competing companies say so. look it up.
Look up the netwon.
keep poundin that drum, eh? talk about a one-trick pony. decades of
revenue, billions in the bank, and you cite....one product. please.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
toyoto is far more popular than lamborghini, but.. well, you get the idea.
That complete wank isnt a superior product.
oh? funny. id take a free lamborghini over a free toyota, and i bet so
would you. but change it to whatever high-end car you wish, its an
analogy. and i know they still teach those in school today.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Doesnt mean that it ever takes off tho. Look at the Newton.
look at ipod.
You made the stupid claim that all apple products take off, they clearly dont.
but...i didnt. quote me. i just said they are very good at design, and
have a proven track record. (oh! except the newton!)
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
The Mac and Newton clearly arent.
the mac is, and continues to sell well
Nope, its just a tiny niche market product that hardly
anyone even considers except previous suckers.
wrong. post ipod, mac sales have gone up. look it up. people like easy
to use things.
Post by Rod Speed
Pffft.
what was that you said about farts....
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
what other phones sport a full web browser,
standards based, javascript/ajax apps, etc...?
Utterly bogus slipping in that standards based, and plenty do anyway.
oh, why is it bogus? please, tell me which other cell browsers are
standards compliant, run ajax apps, etc...
Post by Rod Speed
You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.
"Rrreow!" here come them nasty claws! watch out! cant win the
argument, then just be a jackass -- works for ya every time.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
-- so youve given up your digital camera in favor of your phone?
Nope, I have a camera in the phone where its convenient to use
oh, so you *did* give up your standalone camera for a cellcam? wow.
they must not be very good images. im just an amateur photog, and i
sure wouldnt give my DIGIC censors, superior glass, etc..
Post by Rod Speed
Pathetic.
harsh! please sir, spare me your acid-laced tongue, i beseech you....
Post by Rod Speed
Plenty of things like whats on offer when looking around for a particular
item and seeing who is offering what. Evidence after some fool runs into
your car. The model plate on an appliance when you are hunting for parts
sure. but nothing serious, where quality counts. no cellcam will beat
my canons or olympus. nokia, apple, etc.. theyre only good for
convient throw-aways. your glorious nokia n included.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Wrong with the high end phones and pdas.
which are not the majority of "everyday" phones. thus the label "high end".
True in spades of the iphone.
yep, you got it -- its a high-end phone.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
you mean user-accessible gps...
Yep, or app accessible, anyway.
same thing, my boy -- users access things via apps on these new
fangled computers. its not currently accessible, but its there. see
the bit about "software" upgrades, up top...
Post by Rod Speed
Pity its so late to market on that.
so? i think apples executive board are better qualified to asses that
risk, than some random dude on the internet. dontcha think? or wait --
maybe you *are* a high powered executive on another board? omg, do you
sit on nokia? shit why didnt you say so....id love to listen to some
of your qualified, expert opinions now!

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-29 18:51:19 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
and all w/o software (as you claim)!
Never ever said anything remotely resembling anything like that.
actually, you did.
Nope.
Post by tony
no "crapware" required -- remember?
That was just referring to the FACT that you dont need
to add some special purpose crapware, you can use the
file manager etc that you use for all other file transfers fine.

Even someone as stupid as you should have noticed that a file manager etc is software.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
It aint random and it will do anything itunes can do, and you
get everything in the one device instead of in separate devices.
sorta like....an iphone.
Nope, nothing like.
Post by tony
but not as handy.
Wrong again. Much handier, you treat the phone as a drive, the iphone cant do that.
Post by tony
got it.
Nope, you never ever do.

None of the rest of your juvenile shit worth bothering with, all flushed where it belongs.
tony
2007-06-29 20:35:57 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
no "crapware" required -- remember?
That was just referring to the FACT that you dont need
to add some special purpose crapware, you can use the
file manager etc that you use for all other file transfers fine.
surely someone as worldly & learned as yourself realizes you can do
the same w/ an ipod if you so choose -- there are several sync &
manager alternatives to itunes, if you wish to install them. check out
lifehacker.
Post by Rod Speed
Even someone as stupid as you should have noticed that a file manager etc is software.
Rrreoww! "Watch out boys, this cat's got claws!"
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
It aint random and it will do anything itunes can do, and you
get everything in the one device instead of in separate devices.
sorta like....an iphone.
Nope, nothing like.
oh? lesse...

- cell phone...check.
- pda functions...check.
- wannabe-ipod & itunes media functionality...check.
- visual voicemail, amazingly simple UI, unix-based OS, optimized
google maps, sweet design...ah crap!

...you may be right, not like an iphone. spades for you, huh?
Post by Rod Speed
Wrong again. Much handier, you treat the phone as a drive, the iphone cant do that.
we'll see about that. didnt take long for folks to get the AppleTV to
do what they wanted it to, either (support DivX, external USB storage
support, etc..). and dollars to donuts that future versions of AppleTV
*will* do what the user base wants it to. version 1, dude. it does
more than most phones already, does some things none of them can, and
the future is only gonna get brighter.
Post by Rod Speed
None of the rest of your juvenile shit worth bothering with, all flushed where it belongs.
w/ you head stuck in the sand so long, doesnt it ever get sand in your
eyes? doesnt that...hurt? (feel free to add a "it's better than
sticking your head up your ass" retort, i know youve got it in ya,
little fella)

sm
SpaceMarine
2007-06-29 22:57:07 UTC
btw, i came across this today -- data on cellphone media players:

...jupiter research. by their data, only 5% of users make use of the
music players in existing cell phones. ooo. ahh.

yeah, definitely no room for improvement in the market place there....
pity apple is so late to the market, huh? missin out on that 5% -- in
spades.

sm
tony
2007-06-28 21:21:47 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
The media player function is,
Nope, because that wont kill a damned thing given that there are hordes of
phones with media players and cameras that have been around for years now.
most phones apps suck, including media players. if my phone sported
one, i wouldnt use it -- i dont want more crapware on my computer to
load it, and it doesnt sync w/ itunes. my ipod does. so id continue
using my ultraslim ipod nano.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Not to mention just the slick all-around UI, for everything
from SMS to contact management to conference calling.
Sure, but the UI on most phones is already quite adequate in those areas.
HA! funny. good one.
Post by Rod Speed
There's plenty of other phones like that now.
theyre plenty of phones w/ many of the iphone features -- but none w/
all.
Post by Rod Speed
Even later to market. Bet its too late and they never do as well as the ipod did.
of course. this is a different product than an ipod -- thats like
saying AppleTV wont sell as many units as ipods. pointless. first, as
a mobile pc/PDA its much more expensive than an ipod, and is thusly in
a different product category..not a whimsical $79 purchase. second,
its tied to a contract. third, its tied to various packages, limited
in conjunction w/ their data partner.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-28 21:45:05 UTC
Post by tony
Post by ZnU
The media player function is,
Nope, because that wont kill a damned thing given
that there are hordes of phones with media players
and cameras that have been around for years now.
most phones apps suck, including media players.
I cant see too many spending $5/600 and locking themselves
into a 2 year contract and a fucked EDGE network for that.

Specially when those that do care about a decent media
player UI will already have an ipod or a properly implemented
phone with integraged media player like a Nokia.
Post by tony
if my phone sported one, i wouldnt use it -- i dont
want more crapware on my computer to load it,
You dont need that with a properly implemented
media player, it appears as a drive on the computer.

Thats always been one major downside with the ipod,
it needs its own rather fucked crapware to load it and
even that cant copy stuff from one ipod to another either.
Post by tony
and it doesnt sync w/ itunes. my ipod does.
so id continue using my ultraslim ipod nano.
So you are unlikely to piss $5/600+ and a 2 year
$50/90 per month against the wall on an iphone now.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Not to mention just the slick all-around UI, for everything
from SMS to contact management to conference calling.
Sure, but the UI on most phones is already quite adequate in those areas.
HA! funny. good one.
HA!! pathetic. silly one.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
There's plenty of other phones like that now.
theyre plenty of phones w/ many of the iphone features -- but none w/ all.
Wrong. The Nokia N series has even more like built in GPS too.

And plenty have a much better camera than the iphone,
and a removable battery, and a sim and memory cards too.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Even later to market. Bet its too late and they never do as well as the ipod did.
of course. this is a different product than an ipod
What I said in what you carefully deleted from the quoting.
Post by tony
-- thats like saying AppleTV wont sell as many units as ipods. pointless.
Pity he was the one mindlessly claiming the iphone have as much effect
on the market as the ipod did, in the quoting you carefully deleted.
tony
2007-06-28 22:00:20 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
What I said in what you carefully deleted from the quoting.
...drop the paranoia thing. theres no careful deleting here, i just
hit reply, quote your latest statement, and respond to it. if there is
confusion, it may be your posts are convoluted and difficult to work
with.
Post by Rod Speed
You dont need that with a properly implemented
media player, it appears as a drive on the computer.
...oh, and it syncs w/ my music library telepathically, sans software?
how does it load up my desired playlists?
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
and it doesnt sync w/ itunes. my ipod does.
so id continue using my ultraslim ipod nano.
So you are unlikely to piss $5/600+ and a 2 year
$50/90 per month against the wall on an iphone now.
not sure what youre referring to. i said i wouldnt use my cellphone's
(hypothetical) media player, because it doesnt sync as well as my
nano; both of which fit in my pocket.

however, id still prefer one device, if it did. $50/90 is less and not
much more than what i spend now on my non-data plan. 500 isnt bad for
a PDA, mobile email, mobile full web browser, ipod, and cell phone. so
yeah, id pay that. except, i dont buy first versions. but in theory,
or down the road, you bet.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
HA! funny. good one.
HA!! pathetic. silly one.
..? wheres the counter point... i decried typical cell UIs, and youve
already agreed its commonly bad. so why is that silly?
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
theyre plenty of phones w/ many of the iphone features -- but none w/ all.
Wrong. The Nokia N series has even more like built in GPS too.
does the nokia does not have non-linear email, as the iphone? and rich
UIs inline w/ my mac experience? nope. i stand by it -- there are many
good features out there, but no other product has everything the
iphone promises. i do hope they add GPS in v2 tho.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-28 22:40:50 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
What I said in what you carefully deleted from the quoting.
...drop the paranoia thing.
Work on your bullshitting 'skills'
Post by tony
theres no careful deleting here, i just hit reply,
quote your latest statement, and respond to it.
Liar, you deleted quite a bit of the quoting.
Post by tony
if there is confusion, it may be your posts
are convoluted and difficult to work with.
Never ever could bullshit and lie it way out of a wet paper bag.
Post by Rod Speed
You dont need that with a properly implemented
media player, it appears as a drive on the computer.
...oh, and it syncs w/ my music library telepathically, sans software?
Nope, using the file manager you use for everything else.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
and it doesnt sync w/ itunes. my ipod does.
so id continue using my ultraslim ipod nano.
So you are unlikely to piss $5/600+ and a 2 year
$50/90 per month against the wall on an iphone now.
not sure what youre referring to.
The cost of the iphone.
Post by tony
i said i wouldnt use my cellphone's (hypothetical)
media player, because it doesnt sync as well as
my nano; both of which fit in my pocket.
And you are unlikely to to piss $5/600+ and a 2 year $50/90
per month against the wall on an iphone now, like I said.
Post by tony
however, id still prefer one device, if it did. $50/90 is less and
not much more than what i spend now on my non-data plan.
More fool you.
Post by tony
500 isnt bad for a PDA, mobile email,
mobile full web browser, ipod, and cell phone.
Pity about when you already have all that capability.
Post by tony
so yeah, id pay that. except, i dont buy first versions.
but in theory, or down the road, you bet.
Yeah, but you're just another Apple lemming.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Not to mention just the slick all-around UI, for everything
from SMS to contact management to conference calling.
Sure, but the UI on most phones is already quite adequate in those areas.
HA! funny. good one.
HA!! pathetic. silly one.
..? wheres the counter point...
Where was yours ?
Post by tony
i decried typical cell UIs,
And I decried your pathetic excuse for juvenile bullshit.
Post by tony
and youve already agreed its commonly bad.
No I didnt. I in fact said the exact opposite.
Post by tony
so why is that silly?
You have absolutely no idea eh ? Yeah, right.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
theyre plenty of phones w/ many of the iphone features -- but none w/ all.
Wrong. The Nokia N series has even more like built in GPS too.
does the nokia does not have non-linear email, as the iphone?
and rich UIs inline w/ my mac experience? nope.
Does the iphone have a removable battery, a sim, a decent camera,
GSM 3G, video capture, cut and paste etc etc etc ? Nope.
Post by tony
i stand by it --
You can stand wherever you like, on your head if you like --
Post by tony
there are many good features out there, but no
other product has everything the iphone promises.
There's plenty that have lots more than the iphone
has, like a removable battery, a sim, a decent camera,
Pity about all the rest thats missing.
tony
2007-06-28 23:10:12 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Work on your bullshitting 'skills'
huh? i see your taking this down the insult route... good tactic for
ya, when arguing the points gets tough, is it?
Post by Rod Speed
Liar, you deleted quite a bit of the quoting.
i never said i didnt delete. i delete the garbage, and reply to whats
left. which is usually not much.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
You dont need that with a properly implemented
media player, it appears as a drive on the computer.
...oh, and it syncs w/ my music library telepathically, sans software?
Nope, using the file manager you use for everything else.
oh! so you mean i have to manage it all *myself*, manually... ok, see,
to many, thats a step *backward*, not a feature. i rather like auto-
sync. and i like the rest of the ipod UI for track/playlist nav, and i
actually think its better than your glorious nokia or whatnot. just me
tho. or maybe not.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
however, id still prefer one device, if it did. $50/90 is less and
not much more than what i spend now on my non-data plan.
More fool you.
hey, blame verizone. i didnt invent their plans. id much rather pay
60, or 80, w/ unlimited data.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
500 isnt bad for a PDA, mobile email,
mobile full web browser, ipod, and cell phone.
Pity about when you already have all that capability.
er, but i dont. unless youre surprising me w/ a lovely gift?
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
so yeah, id pay that. except, i dont buy first versions.
but in theory, or down the road, you bet.
Yeah, but you're just another Apple lemming.
but...im not. ive been a windows man since 3.11, and i make my living
programming .NET applications (windows specific), on windows software.
i just bought a mac recently, because i liked how easier i found my
personal tasks to be. so, i think im a pretty open-minded guy in that
sense.

i do like how all of a sudden you gotta turn on me/posters who
disagree w/ ya tho. you sorta back yourself into a corner...its about
all you have left. i understand.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Sure, but the UI on most phones is already quite adequate in those areas.
HA! funny. good one.
HA!! pathetic. silly one.
..? wheres the counter point...
Where was yours ?
that cellphone software & UI are pretty shitty. but dont take my word
for it -- you can google that assertion.
Post by Rod Speed
And I decried your pathetic excuse for juvenile bullshit.
yeah, theres that corner-backing stuff again. i bet you feel like a
trapped alley cat, huh? gotta lash out w/ them nasty claws....
"Rrrreeoww!" watch out!! there he goes!
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
and youve already agreed its commonly bad.
No I didnt. I in fact said the exact opposite.
actually, you said in another post that most cell UI is crummy. but im
not going to do the work for you and dig it up. you do it.
Post by Rod Speed
There's plenty that have lots more than the iphone
has, like a removable battery, a sim, a decent camera,
GSM 3G, video capture, cut and paste etc etc etc
i havent seen one phone that can do it all. certainly none w/ visual
voicemail, or mac-like ease of use. still waiting for you to name that
one.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-29 00:02:11 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
What I said in what you carefully deleted from the quoting.
...drop the paranoia thing.
Work on your bullshitting 'skills'
huh?
You deaf ?
Post by tony
i see your taking this down the insult route...
Corse you never ever did anything like that yourself, eh ?
Post by tony
good tactic for ya, when arguing the points gets tough, is it?
Ask yourself, you're the one with that problem.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
theres no careful deleting here, i just hit reply,
quote your latest statement, and respond to it.
Liar, you deleted quite a bit of the quoting.
i never said i didnt delete.
Liar, you said just that.
Post by tony
i delete the garbage, and reply to whats left. which is usually not much.
Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by tony
ok, see, to many, thats a step *backward*, not a feature.
True in spades of iTunes. It cant even shift stuff from one ipod to another.
Post by tony
i rather like autosync.
You get that with any decent file manager.
Post by tony
and i like the rest of the ipod UI for track/playlist nav,
You get that with any decent media player too.
Post by tony
and i actually think its better than your glorious nokia or whatnot.
Not a shred of evidence that you are actually capable of thought.
Post by tony
just me tho.
Yep, just another stupid apple sucker.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
however, id still prefer one device, if it did. $50/90 is less and
not much more than what i spend now on my non-data plan.
More fool you.
hey, blame verizone.
Nope, you for being stupid enough to sign up for that.
Post by tony
i didnt invent their plans.
You were stupid enough to sign up for that.
Post by tony
id much rather pay 60, or 80, w/ unlimited data.
Yep, lot more than one stupid sucker a minute.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
500 isnt bad for a PDA, mobile email,
mobile full web browser, ipod, and cell phone.
Pity about when you already have all that capability.
er, but i dont. unless youre surprising me w/ a lovely gift?
Pity about most candidates for the iphone who do.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
so yeah, id pay that. except, i dont buy first versions.
but in theory, or down the road, you bet.
Yeah, but you're just another Apple lemming.
but...im not.
Corse you are, you were stupid enough to buy iTunes.
Post by tony
ive been a windows man since 3.11, and i make my living programming
.NET applications (windows specific), on windows software. i just bought
a mac recently, because i liked how easier i found my personal tasks to be.
so, i think im a pretty open-minded guy in that sense.
Still stupid enough to buy iTunes. One of the most fucked apps around.

And an ipod which cant even appear as a drive just by plugging it in.
Post by tony
i do like how all of a sudden you gotta turn
on me/posters who disagree w/ ya tho.
Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

<reams of your puerile shit any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Not to mention just the slick all-around UI, for everything
from SMS to contact management to conference calling.
Sure, but the UI on most phones is already quite adequate in those areas.
HA! funny. good one.
HA!! pathetic. silly one.
..? wheres the counter point...
Where was yours ?
that cellphone software & UI are pretty shitty.
Not for those particular functions that you carefully
deleted from the quoting and I have restored they arent.
Post by tony
but dont take my word for it -- you can google that assertion.
Not for those particular functions that you carefully
deleted from the quoting and I have restored you cant.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
i decried typical cell UIs,
And I decried your pathetic excuse for juvenile bullshit.
yeah, theres that corner-backing stuff again.
Nope, just more of your flagrant dishonesty.

Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
and youve already agreed its commonly bad.
No I didnt. I in fact said the exact opposite.
actually, you said in another post that most cell UI is crummy.
No I didnt.

More of your flagrant dishonesty, you never asked previously.
tony
2007-06-29 15:15:00 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
You deaf ?
nope. just trying to make sense of your poorly phrased sentences.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
i see your taking this down the insult route...
Corse you never ever did anything like that yourself, eh ?
nope. i never begin insulting someone just because i dont like their
argument. but you do.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
good tactic for ya, when arguing the points gets tough, is it?
Ask yourself, you're the one with that problem.
but i dont. quote me.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
theres no careful deleting here, i just hit reply,
quote your latest statement, and respond to it.
Liar, you deleted quite a bit of the quoting.
i never said i didnt delete.
Liar, you said just that.
rubbish. (lets see how many times i can get you to repeat yourself,
over, and over, and over.....hmmm)
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
i delete the garbage, and reply to whats left. which is usually not much.
Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.
garbage in, garbage out. (this will be my new copy & paste item!)
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
oh! so you mean i have to manage it all *myself*, manually...
Nope.
its either manual, or its itunes, or its "more crapware". pick one.
Post by Rod Speed
Not a shred of evidence that you are actually capable of thought.
garbage in, garbage out.
Post by Rod Speed
Nope, you for being stupid enough to sign up for that.
Rrreoow! "Watch out boys, this cat's got claws!"
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Pity about when you already have all that capability.
er, but i dont. unless youre surprising me w/ a lovely gift?
Pity about most candidates for the iphone who do.
oh? youve done this market research? whered ya publish it, would love
to read your facts.
Post by Rod Speed
Corse you are, you were stupid enough to buy iTunes.
speaking of stupid -- ya dont buy itunes, little fella. and i sure
dont buy DRM music, either.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
ive been a windows man since 3.11, and i make my living programming
.NET applications (windows specific), on windows software. i just bought
a mac recently, because i liked how easier i found my personal tasks to be.
so, i think im a pretty open-minded guy in that sense.
Still stupid enough to buy iTunes. One of the most fucked apps around.
except that....you dont buy itunes. thanks for playing, tho. and for
not even attempting to negate my proposed non-bias toward apple.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
i do like how all of a sudden you gotta turn
on me/posters who disagree w/ ya tho.
Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.
oh? so you didnt start calling me stupid, sucker, lemming, for
disagreeing w/ you? this thread says different.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
that cellphone software & UI are pretty shitty.
Not for those particular functions that you carefully
deleted from the quoting and I have restored they arent.
what? nonsense.
Post by Rod Speed

Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
There's plenty that have lots more than the iphone
has, like a removable battery, a sim, a decent camera,
GSM 3G, video capture, cut and paste etc etc etc
i havent seen one phone that can do it all.
You need to get out more.
actually, getting out more is why i havent a cell phone that can do
everything, including the new iphone features. why dont you help us
all out here and name some?
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
still waiting for you to name that one.
More of your flagrant dishonesty, you never asked previously.
i didnt need to -- you said there are plenty, i said id never heard of
em. still waiting for ya. go on, hit that reply button. set the record
straight.

sm
tony
2007-06-28 21:07:20 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Sure, its not going to appeal to too many of those, just because it has no keyboard.
but...it does have a keyboard. a qwerty keyboard, right there. its on
the screen. still a keyboard.
Post by Rod Speed
The problem is more that the screen is filled with the
touchscreen keyboard on those tiny screens and so you
cant read the email you are replying too at the same time.
that may be true. but i havent tried it yet. you have, then?
Post by Rod Speed
And anyone with a clue uses favourites with browsing anyway
interesting. and how do you enter in these favorites in the first
place? dunno about you, but i often type in new URLs that friends tell
me about.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
However, most of those people don't use the media player
functions of their phones, because they use iPods instead.
That is just plain wrong when their phone has a media player.
i dont think its wrong. i think even people who have cell phones w/
media players still use ipods. why? because the ipod performs its task
better. why? because its easier to use.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
And the iPhone isn't all that expensive compared
with the cost of an iPod + a phone.
Thats not a valid comparison, you should be comparing it with other media player phones.
why? when you buy an iphone, you essentially get an ipod. why? the
defining characteristics of the ipod are its style and its ease of
use. both of which are present in the iphone version.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-28 21:52:49 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Sure, its not going to appeal to too many
of those, just because it has no keyboard.
but...it does have a keyboard. a qwerty keyboard,
right there. its on the screen. still a keyboard.
What I said in the next bit.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
The problem is more that the screen is filled with the
touchscreen keyboard on those tiny screens and so you
cant read the email you are replying too at the same time.
that may be true. but i havent tried it yet. you have, then?
Dont need to on that particular question, nothing else is even possible.

And it cant cut and paste either, pretty fucked with email.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
And anyone with a clue uses favourites with browsing anyway
interesting. and how do you enter in these favorites in the first place?
Hit the tool that saves the current site as a favorite.

Even you should be able to manage that if someone was actually
stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.
Post by tony
dunno about you, but i often type in new URLs that friends tell me about.
More fool you, I click on the link they include in the email,
even if I am talking to them on the phone at the time.

Leaves manually typing it in for dead.
Post by tony
Post by tony
why? because the ipod performs its task
better. why? because its easier to use.
Pity that you have to fart around with two separate devices.

Anyone with a clue gets a cellphone with an
integrated media player with a decent UI instead.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
And the iPhone isn't all that expensive compared with the cost of an iPod + a phone.
Thats not a valid comparison, you should be comparing it with other media player phones.
why?
Because most arent stupid enough to have two separate devices.
Post by tony
when you buy an iphone, you essentially get an ipod. why?
the defining characteristics of the ipod are its style and its
ease of use. both of which are present in the iphone version.
You dont know that yet.

And few will be silly enough to piss $5/600 and $50/90/month on a 2
year contract against the wall when they already have an ipod anyway.
tony
2007-06-28 22:14:02 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Hit the tool that saves the current site as a favorite.
Even you should be able to manage that if someone was actually
stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.
huh? whats w/ the smackdown, jack? further, if someone in my carpool
is talking about a url, what tool should i "hit" to save their words
into a favorite? i am very intrigued by this tool.
Post by Rod Speed
More fool you, I click on the link they include in the email,
even if I am talking to them on the phone at the time.
oh? so your chums will email you a link, even when theyre sitting
right next to you in the car, w/o a computer? so they actually load
their cell's email program, somehow forward a url in it, and you check
that in your cell, click it, and added it as a favorite -- all instead
of speaking? wow. very organized system you have in place. impressive.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
why? because the ipod performs its task
better. why? because its easier to use.
Pity that you have to fart around with two separate devices.
two devices, yes. but two devices that each do one thing really well.
thus, no farting.

if i could one device to do them both -- again, really well -- i
would. and it so would you, by your own admission (to you, the nokia N
performs these taks very well. to others...perhaps not).
Post by Rod Speed
integrated media player with a decent UI instead.
why settle for decent? i dont mind paying for better than decent. see
ipod success.
Post by Rod Speed
Because most arent stupid enough to have two separate devices.
actually, apparently most are "stupid" enough -- i think the number of
cell + primary-mp3 (non-stupid, by your rules) users are much smaller
than you think; and certainly do not qualify for the 'most'
designator.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
when you buy an iphone, you essentially get an ipod. why?
the defining characteristics of the ipod are its style and its
ease of use. both of which are present in the iphone version.
You dont know that yet.
based on apples track record, its a safe bet. they arent going to re-
invent a new ipod UI for the iphone. and it certainly hasnt been
mentioned in the early reviews if they had. so im going to stick w/
that assertion.
Post by Rod Speed
And few will be silly enough to piss $5/600 and $50/90/month on a 2
year contract against the wall when they already have an ipod anyway.
if youre right, then this will all just be an unpleasant memory years
from now.....a silly fad that lasted, what, 6 mos? yep.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-28 22:56:59 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
And anyone with a clue uses favourites with browsing anyway
interesting. and how do you enter in these favorites in the first place?
Hit the tool that saves the current site as a favorite.
Even you should be able to manage that if someone was actually
stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.
huh? whats w/ the smackdown, jack?
Just what you deserve, jill.
Post by tony
further, if someone in my carpool is talking about a url,
what tool should i "hit" to save their words into a favorite?
The voice recorder, child.

And anyone with a clue gets urls from emails anyway, even
if they are talking to the individual that is talking about it.
Post by tony
i am very intrigued by this tool.
Its clearly too hard for someone as stupid as you.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
dunno about you, but i often type in new URLs that friends tell me about.
More fool you, I click on the link they include in the email,
even if I am talking to them on the phone at the time.
oh? so your chums will email you a link, even
when theyre sitting right next to you in the car,
Yep, or in their house or my house too.
Post by tony
w/o a computer?
They send it when they are next at a computer.
Post by tony
so they actually load their cell's email program, somehow forward a url
in it, and you check that in your cell, click it, and added it as a favorite
Yep.
Post by tony
-- all instead of speaking?
Nope, while discussing it actually.
Post by tony
wow. very organized system you have in place. impressive.
Leaves manually typing in urls for dead.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by tony
why? because the ipod performs its task
better. why? because its easier to use.
Pity that you have to fart around with two separate devices.
two devices, yes. but two devices that each do one thing really well.
Plenty of phones that do the phone function really well and the media player too.
Post by tony
thus, no farting.
Corse it is on the two separate devices alone.
Post by tony
if i could one device to do them both -- again, really well -- i would.
And that is precisely what so many do right now. Not just two either,
most of they have a camera as well and many a pda etc etc etc too.
Post by Rod Speed
integrated media player with a decent UI instead.
why settle for decent?
Because most dont want to fart around with multiple physical devices.
Post by tony
i dont mind paying for better than decent. see ipod success.
Its fucked for loading the ipod compared with the media
player in a properly implemented phone/media player.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by tony
and certainly do not qualify for the 'most' designator.
Wrong, as always.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
when you buy an iphone, you essentially get an ipod. why?
the defining characteristics of the ipod are its style and its
ease of use. both of which are present in the iphone version.
You dont know that yet.
based on apples track record, its a safe bet.
Nope, look at the Newton some time.
Post by tony
they arent going to reinvent a new ipod UI for the iphone.
They dont have any choice on that, it doesnt have any physical buttons.
Post by tony
and it certainly hasnt been mentioned in the early reviews if they had.
Yes it has, it doesnt have any physical buttons.
Post by tony
so im going to stick w/that assertion.
You can stick to anything you like, changes nothing.
Yep, just like with the Newton that didnt even manage that long.
tony
2007-06-28 23:21:11 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
further, if someone in my carpool is talking about a url,
what tool should i "hit" to save their words into a favorite?
The voice recorder, child.
oh wait -- so you *record* the conversation, then listen to it later,
and then...? type it? very interesting way of interacting. me, when im
having lunch w/ my buddy at the deli, and we're sitting there, and
want to look something up we just came across, we do it *right then*.
like, at the table! its amazing. but yeah, it means pushing buttons.
crazy.
Post by Rod Speed
And anyone with a clue gets urls from emails anyway, even
if they are talking to the individual that is talking about it.
sure. cuz uh, email has repleaced impromptu speaking. yeah.
Post by Rod Speed
Its clearly too hard for someone as stupid as you.
"Rrreeoow!" watch out, there he goes!! nasty claws on that fellar...
Post by Rod Speed
Plenty of phones that do the phone function really well and the media player too.
not really.
Post by Rod Speed
Corse it is on the two separate devices alone.
yep. if a device doesnt do it well, i dont use it. still own a digital
camera, even tho i have this crummy one built into my nokia. useless.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
i dont mind paying for better than decent. see ipod success.
Its fucked for loading the ipod compared with the media
player in a properly implemented phone/media player.
cant understand ya, man.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
-- i think the number of cell + primary-mp3 (non-stupid,
by your rules) users are much smaller than you think;
Nope.
oh, so youre saying *most* people depend on their cellphone-and-media-
player combo device as their *primary* mp3 player or whatnot? bah!
total rubbish.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
based on apples track record, its a safe bet.
Nope, look at the Newton some time.
ok, so youre saying one flopped product means "apple sucks at UI".
Yyyyyeaaahhh......im gonna need you to come saturday......
Post by Rod Speed
Yes it has, it doesnt have any physical buttons.
in the previews i read, they didnt say they came up w/ a lousy new UI.
quote me different.
Post by Rod Speed
Yep, just like with the Newton that didnt even manage that long.
heh, theres that newton again... '93-95, dude. theyve gotten better at
stuff since then. see smash hits of macs & ipods. just pop into an
apple store.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-29 00:19:16 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
further, if someone in my carpool is talking about a url,
what tool should i "hit" to save their words into a favorite?
The voice recorder, child.
oh wait -- so you *record* the conversation, then listen to it later, and then...? type it?
Only if they are so fucked they cant email it to you child.

Post by Rod Speed
And anyone with a clue gets urls from emails anyway, even
if they are talking to the individual that is talking about it.
sure. cuz uh, email has repleaced impromptu speaking. yeah.
Its in addition to the conversation, fuckwit child.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by tony
why? because the ipod performs its task
better. why? because its easier to use.
Pity that you have to fart around with two separate devices.
two devices, yes. but two devices that each do one thing really well.
Plenty of phones that do the phone function really well and the media player too.
not really.
Yes, really.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
thus, no farting.
Corse it is on the two separate devices alone.
yep. if a device doesnt do it well, i dont use it.
More fool you, farting around with separate
devices when you can all the functionality in one.
still own a digital camera, even tho i have
this crummy one built into my nokia. useless.
You dont always need the high quality camera and its much more
convenient to have another in your phone for when you need it.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
i dont mind paying for better than decent. see ipod success.
Its fucked for loading the ipod compared with the media
player in a properly implemented phone/media player.
cant understand ya, man.
It doesnt appear as a drive just by plugging the ipod into the computer.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
-- i think the number of cell + primary-mp3 (non-stupid,
by your rules) users are much smaller than you think;
Nope.
oh, so youre saying *most* people depend on their cellphone-and-media-
player combo device as their *primary* mp3 player or whatnot?
Nope.
bah!> total rubbish.
Having fuck thrashing that straw man are you child ?
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
when you buy an iphone, you essentially get an ipod. why?
the defining characteristics of the ipod are its style and its
ease of use. both of which are present in the iphone version.
You dont know that yet.
based on apples track record, its a safe bet.
Nope, look at the Newton some time.
ok, so youre saying one flopped product means "apple sucks at UI".
Nope, that it isnt necessarily a SAFE BET yet.

Post by tony
and it certainly hasnt been mentioned in the early reviews if they had.
Yes it has, it doesnt have any physical buttons.
in the previews i read, they didnt say they came up w/ a lousy new UI.
They dont have any choice on that, it doesnt have any physical buttons.
quote me different.
Even someone as stupid as you should have notice
that they all say it doesnt have any physical buttons.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
And few will be silly enough to piss $5/600 and $50/90/month on a 2
year contract against the wall when they already have an ipod anyway.
if youre right, then this will all just be an unpleasant memory
years from now.....a silly fad that lasted, what, 6 mos? yep.
Yep, just like with the Newton that didnt even manage that long.
heh, theres that newton again...
You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist mindless lemmings ?
'93-95, dude.
Irrelevant, dud.
theyve gotten better at stuff since then.
It wasnt their last dud, dud.
see smash hits of macs & ipods.
The mac was no smash hit, almost no one is stupid enough to use it.
just pop into an apple store.
Most of which went bust. Funny that. Hilarous actually.
tony
2007-06-29 15:30:06 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
oh wait -- so you *record* the conversation, then listen to it later, and then...? type it?
Only if they are so fucked they cant email it to you child.
so youre sitting in a deli eating w/ your buddy, and somebody drops
off an interesting flyer for a band, w/ a url. you have your web-
capable nokia safe & snug in your pocket. you & your buddy are curious
about the content of said url, and have an hour to kill. but, youre
saying that instead of using your web-capable nokia, you verbally
*record* the url, and check it later, or have your friend email it to
you later, all because you wish to avoid typing in the url in your
crummy web-capable phone, even tho you have time to kill. man, thats
progress!
Post by Rod Speed
<reams of your puerile shit any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
Rreeoow! "Watch out boy's, this cat's got claws!"
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Rod Speed
Its clearly too hard for someone as stupid as you.
<reams of your puerile shit any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
Rreeoow! "Watch out boy's, this cat's got claws!"
Post by Rod Speed
not really.
Yes, really.
not really.
Post by Rod Speed
yep. if a device doesnt do it well, i dont use it.
More fool you, farting around with separate
devices when you can all the functionality in one.
but...ive established that i dont think they do it well. whats your
beef w/ that? why must i think your nokia is the A-bomb of UI? thats
great if you do, but plenty of folks dont... see "free market".
Post by Rod Speed
still own a digital camera, even tho i have
this crummy one built into my nokia. useless.
You dont always need the high quality camera and its much more
convenient to have another in your phone for when you need it.
my nokia's crummy images are in no way near the quality worthy of
publishing on my photo site. they are next to useless. thus...i own a
camera in addition. and i bet you do too.
Post by Rod Speed
It doesnt appear as a drive just by plugging the ipod into the computer.
err, but it does. you can most certainly see an ipod as a drive in any
win/mac you plug it into. you probably mean that you cant manage music
w/ it that way, unless you load custom software to do so (which you
can choose to do. google it).
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
-- i think the number of cell + primary-mp3 (non-stupid,
by your rules) users are much smaller than you think;
Nope.
oh, so youre saying *most* people depend on their cellphone-and-media-
player combo device as their *primary* mp3 player or whatnot?
Nope.
ok, so the number of people who use their media-player cells as their
primary media player are both not "smaller than you think", and not
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
based on apples track record, its a safe bet.
Nope, look at the Newton some time.
ok, so youre saying one flopped product means "apple sucks at UI".
Nope, that it isnt necessarily a SAFE BET yet.
one poor product UI out of 23 years of massive sales is, a "safe bet".
Post by Rod Speed
in the previews i read, they didnt say they came up w/ a lousy new UI.
They dont have any choice on that, it doesnt have any physical buttons.
quote me different.
Even someone as stupid as you should have notice
that they all say it doesnt have any physical buttons.
talk about stupid -- ive never disputed the buttons. ive clearly
disputed that apple has replaced the ipods successful UI w/ something
lousy.
Post by Rod Speed
You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist mindless lemmings ?
yep. as i mentioned, i write software for many platforms, primarily
windows, and never mac. think we can element the "You're a lemming!"
red herring now.
Post by Rod Speed
The mac was no smash hit, almost no one is stupid enough to use it.
actually sport, the mac is what launched the personal computer &
desktop publishing industries. before then, no company gave a damn.
granted you will probably in diapers or unborn, but it did happen.
look it up.
Post by Rod Speed
just pop into an apple store.
Most of which went bust. Funny that. Hilarous actually.
i havent read that. care to provide some data? or just more
unsubstantial name-calling rubbish?

sm
t***@gmail.com
2007-07-03 07:31:02 UTC
And it cant cut andpasteeither, pretty fucked with email.
According to Wayne Westerman's PhD thesis "Hand Tracking, Finger
Identification and Chordic Manipulation on a Multi-Touch Surface" (on
which the iPhone's multitouch tech is based), copy & paste was planned
to work as follows (page 13, section 1.2.2.5):

"Even after all this, some room remains in the chord space for common
menu commands. Setting the thumb and forefinger down apart and then
pinching them together intuitively invokes cut. Copy becomes a simple,
simultaneous tap of the thumb and a fingertip. Setting thumb and
forefinger down together and flicking them apart invokes paste. A
clockwise rotation as if turning a screw saves the current file, and a
counter-clockwise rotation pops up the open file dialog. Additional
menu commands could be invoked on future systems with handwriting
gestures."

I've head that some "deletes" on the iPhone are accomplished by
sliding your finger across the length of the item (as if you were
going to cross something out) which brings up a "delete" icon. Has
anyone tried the copy and paste finger chords on the iPhone? I think
it peculiar that Apple would spend all that money buying up the
Fingerworks multitouch, chordic patents but didn't think to keep in
something as useful as copy & paste?

Cheers,
Chuan
Rod Speed
2007-07-03 09:33:13 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Rod Speed
And it cant cut and paste either, pretty fucked with email.
According to Wayne Westerman's PhD thesis "Hand Tracking, Finger
Identification and Chordic Manipulation on a Multi-Touch Surface"
(on which the iPhone's multitouch tech is based), copy & paste
Presumably there is some reason they chose to leave that out.
Post by t***@gmail.com
"Even after all this, some room remains in the
chord space for common menu commands.
Wota fucking wanker.
Post by t***@gmail.com
Setting the thumb and forefinger down apart and
then pinching them together intuitively invokes cut.
They appear to have used that for sizing.
Post by t***@gmail.com
A clockwise rotation as if turning a screw saves the current file,
Why doesnt it just fuck the current file ?
Post by t***@gmail.com
and a counter-clockwise rotation pops up the open file dialog.
Why doesnt that pop the user's cork ?
Post by t***@gmail.com
Additional menu commands could be invoked
on future systems with handwriting gestures."
Yeah, give it the finger and it bites you on the arse.

Give it the it the little finger and it rips the user's head off.
Post by t***@gmail.com
I've head that some "deletes" on the iPhone are accomplished
by sliding your finger across the length of the item (as if you were
going to cross something out) which brings up a "delete" icon. Has
anyone tried the copy and paste finger chords on the iPhone?
Yep, plenty have.
Post by t***@gmail.com
I think it peculiar that Apple would spend all that money buying
up the Fingerworks multitouch, chordic patents but didn't think
to keep in something as useful as copy & paste?
Presumably because they use those gestures for
sizing instead and there isnt any obvious alternative.

Guess you could use a scissor motion for cutting, but that would be a tad hard to sense.

You could use a spit for paste, but again, thats got some downsides.
Reginald Dwight
2007-07-03 14:40:25 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Has
anyone tried the copy and paste finger chords on the iPhone?
Of course. We're not all stupid.
Post by t***@gmail.com
I think
it peculiar that Apple would spend all that money buying up the
Fingerworks multitouch, chordic patents but didn't think to keep in
something as useful as copy & paste?
Version 1.0, my boy. Keep it simple for everyone. People will get used
to the product and things will be added...slowly and thoughtfully.
Tinman
2007-07-03 15:10:11 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
I think
it peculiar that Apple would spend all that money buying up the
Fingerworks multitouch, chordic patents but didn't think to keep in
something as useful as copy & paste?
Version 1.0, my boy. Keep it simple for everyone. People will get used
to the product and things will be added...slowly and thoughtfully.
That kind of marketing speak usually comes from companies, not customers.
"Yes, Mrs. Jones, we realize you would like directional indicators on your
new car. But we know what's best and we will give you those kinds of
features when we think you are ready for them. Always remember that 'we
think so you don't have to!'"
Mike
Reginald Dwight
2007-07-03 15:35:10 UTC
Post by Tinman
That kind of marketing speak usually comes from companies, not customers.
"Yes, Mrs. Jones, we realize you would like directional indicators on your
new car. But we know what's best and we will give you those kinds of
features when we think you are ready for them. Always remember that 'we
think so you don't have to!'"
Sorry. It just tends to be the way Apple has historically operated.

BTW, Apple doesn't sell cars.
Rod Speed
Pig ignorant lie. Didnt happen like that with the Mac or the ipod.
lowboman
2007-07-30 04:03:57 UTC
Hello I invite you to join my cell phone forums at http://nocostsms.com/forum/
and check our free sms texting service at http://nocostsms.com it
allows you to send and receive texts all from your computer for free
Tinman
2007-07-03 20:23:58 UTC
Post by Reginald Dwight
BTW, Apple doesn't sell cars.
Yet.
Mike
lowboman
2007-07-30 04:04:31 UTC
Wes Groleau
2007-07-30 21:45:16 UTC
Post by Reginald Dwight
BTW, Apple doesn't sell cars.
Every time I approach the "new Beetle" from
behind, I imagine those fat taillights as
thumb buttons, and album art in the huge
rear window beneath that stupid looking
stubby antenna.

The iCar
--
Wes Groleau

People would have more leisure time if it weren't
for all the leisure-time activities that use it up.
-- Peg Bracken
lowboman
2007-07-30 04:03:26 UTC
tony
2007-06-28 20:55:58 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Nope, nothing like it. You dont need much controls wise for a media
player
and yet, there were so many piss poor implementations of those few
controls, until apple.
Post by Rod Speed
the ipod showed up. Virtually everyone already has a cellphone now and
most of those already have a media player now too if they use one much.
i have never had a media player on any of my cellphones, first one in
1999. my phones continue to be small, cluttered, difficult to use
devices that often leave me frustrated.
Post by Rod Speed
Hordes of them have a media player/phone/camera combined already.
and w/ those implementations, most (like previous mp3 players) suck.

there is a definite market for easy-to-use devices. the functionality
neednt be new, but the implementation thereof does.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-28 21:28:11 UTC
Post by ZnU
Apple introduced the iPod into a market that was in a similar state.
Nope, nothing like it. You dont need much controls wise for a media player
and yet, there were so many piss poor implementations of those few controls, until apple.
What I said in the bit you chose to delete from the quoting. Here it is again.
and the ipod design is rather elegant and well done in that regard.
And its not relevant to that claim about the market in a similar
state that I was clearly commenting on there, in more that
you deleted from the quoting and I have restored at the top.
Virtually everyone already has a cellphone now and most of those
already have a media player now too if they use one much.
i have never had a media player on any of my cellphones, first one in 1999.
I wasnt talking about media players in cellphones there.
my phones continue to be small, cluttered, difficult
to use devices that often leave me frustrated.
There's plenty that arent, most obviously with the Nokias that do have a decent UI.
Hordes of them have a media player/phone/camera combined already.
and w/ those implementations, most (like previous mp3 players) suck.
No they dont, particularly the Nokias.
there is a definite market for easy-to-use devices.
Yes, but the iphone isnt the only one of those,
its in fact very late to market with one that is that.
the functionality neednt be new, but the implementation thereof does.
Pity that that isnt new either. Its just a bit better on the touch
screen side. There's plenty of other touchscreens out there now.

And its significantly worse in some areas like using the fucked AT&T EDGE
network too. Most of the rest are GSM 3G network, where they should all be.
tony
2007-06-28 21:49:52 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Nope, nothing like it. You dont need much controls wise for a media player
and yet, there were so many piss poor implementations of those few controls, until apple.
What I said in the bit you chose to delete from the quoting.
evidently your quoting style eludes me, then. it appears to me you
said the ipods good UI design was due to media players being
uncomplicated to begin with. to which i responded the above.
Post by Rod Speed
Virtually everyone already has a cellphone now and most of those
already have a media player now too if they use one much.
i have never had a media player on any of my cellphones, first one in 1999.
I wasnt talking about media players in cellphones there.
again, i must be confused. it *appears* in the quote above that youre
saying most of todays cellphones have a media player.
Post by Rod Speed
There's plenty that arent, most obviously with the Nokias that do have a decent UI.
keyword being decent. not good. my current phone is a nokia, after
having tried samsung, sony, and nokias prior. best part about it? i
can use the same charger i had years ago.
Post by Rod Speed
and w/ those implementations, most (like previous mp3 players) suck.
No they dont, particularly the Nokias.
they do. herein lies our disagreement. further, i like itunes &
syncing w/ my itunes. i cant do that w/ a nokia.
Post by Rod Speed
the functionality neednt be new, but the implementation thereof does.
Pity that that isnt new either. Its just a bit better on the touch
from what ive seen in the videos, the UI improvements i like go beyond
touch screen. they are inline w/ my mac user experience, which i like.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-28 23:07:48 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Apple introduced the iPod into a market that was in a similar state.
Nope, nothing like it. You dont need much controls wise for a media player
and yet, there were so many piss poor implementations of those few controls, until apple.
What I said in the bit you chose to delete from the quoting.
evidently your quoting style eludes me, then.
Thats posting style, not quoting style.
Post by tony
it appears to me you said the ipods good UI design was
due to media players being uncomplicated to begin with.
Nope, those comments were about the STATE
OF THE MARKET when the ipod showed up.
Post by tony
to which i responded the above.
Missing the point completely.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Virtually everyone already has a cellphone now and most of those
already have a media player now too if they use one much.
i have never had a media player on any of my cellphones, first one in 1999.
I wasnt talking about media players in cellphones there.
again, i must be confused.
No surprises there.
Post by tony
it *appears* in the quote above that youre saying
most of todays cellphones have a media player.
Nope, that most already have a media player, not necessarily in their cellphone.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
my phones continue to be small, cluttered, difficult
to use devices that often leave me frustrated.
There's plenty that arent, most obviously
with the Nokias that do have a decent UI.
keyword being decent. not good.
Wrong. Its good in your terms.
Post by tony
my current phone is a nokia,
Then that claim of yours is a lie or you are a klutz.
Post by Rod Speed
and w/ those implementations, most (like previous mp3 players) suck.
No they dont, particularly the Nokias.
they do.
herein lies our disagreement. further, i like itunes &
syncing w/ my itunes. i cant do that w/ a nokia.
itunes aint the only way to synch a media player.

Even easier with a nokia, its just a drive that you can
copy to and from at will. You cant do that with an ipod.
Sure, but thats nothing like your previous claim.
tony
2007-06-28 23:28:59 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
it appears to me you said the ipods good UI design was
due to media players being uncomplicated to begin with.
Nope, those comments were about the STATE
OF THE MARKET when the ipod showed up.
dunno dude...you: "You dont need much controls wise for a media
player" ...you were talking about media players, i was talking about
media players.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
I wasnt talking about media players in cellphones there.
again, i must be confused.
No surprises there.
...and he doesnt even *thank* me for the setup. geeze.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
my phones continue to be small, cluttered, difficult
to use devices that often leave me frustrated.
There's plenty that arent, most obviously
with the Nokias that do have a decent UI.
keyword being decent. not good.
Wrong. Its good in your terms.
hell no, it isnt.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
my current phone is a nokia,
Then that claim of yours is a lie or you are a klutz.
oh? so if i dont like nokia, then im lying or a klutz? wow. then i
guess if weve peaked w/ nokias, nobody else should bother making
phones, eh? let me just tell em... "Shut 'er down, boys. Seems Nokia's
got the game won. Nothing better out there....Yep, me too. Ok. K,
thanks."
Post by Rod Speed
itunes aint the only way to synch a media player.
but for many, its the easiest. which is a selling point to those
people. how can ya argue against that? if it is, then it is. you &
your dreamy nokia play no bearing in that.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Pity that that isnt new either. Its just a bit better on the touch
screen side. There's plenty of other touchscreens out there now.
from what ive seen in the videos, the UI improvements i like go beyond
touch screen. they are inline w/ my mac user experience, which i like.
Sure, but thats nothing like your previous claim.
which was? let me tell you: my claim was that its UI is vastly
superior to any other cell's. thats my claim, right there.

sm
Rod Speed
2007-06-29 00:33:54 UTC
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ZnU
Apple introduced the iPod into a market that was in a similar state.
Nope, nothing like it. You dont need much controls wise for a media player
and yet, there were so many piss poor implementations of those few controls, until apple.
What I said in the bit you chose to delete from the quoting.
it appears to me you said the ipods good UI design was
due to media players being uncomplicated to begin with.
Nope, those comments were about the STATE
OF THE MARKET when the ipod showed up.
dunno dude...
You did manage to get that bit right, dud. Presumably by accident.
Post by tony
you: "You dont need much controls wise for a media player"
...you were talking about media players,
I was commenting on the previous bit that even someone as
stupid as you should have noticed includes the word MARKET.
Post by tony
i was talking about media players.
You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

That bit back right at the top wasnt even yours.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
I wasnt talking about media players in cellphones there.
again, i must be confused.
No surprises there.
...and he doesnt even *thank* me for the setup. geeze.
I never thank scum like you, child.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
my phones continue to be small, cluttered, difficult
to use devices that often leave me frustrated.
There's plenty that arent, most obviously
with the Nokias that do have a decent UI.
keyword being decent. not good.
Wrong. Its good in your terms.
hell no, it isnt.
Hell yes it is.

I just use the word decent instead of your use of good, cretin.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
my current phone is a nokia,
Then that claim of yours is a lie or you are a klutz.
oh? so if i dont like nokia, then im lying or a klutz?
Nope, if you are often frustrated by a nokia.
Post by tony
wow. then i guess if weve peaked w/ nokias,
nobody else should bother making phones, eh?
Having fun thrashing that straw man, child ?
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
itunes aint the only way to synch a media player.
but for many, its the easiest.
Easy to claim.
Post by tony
how can ya argue against that?
Easy, you just dont know how many buy ipods because of the elegant
physical design and swear at iTunes when they have to use it.
Post by tony
if it is, then it is.
And if it isnt, it isnt.
Post by tony
you & your dreamy nokia play no bearing in that.
You and your lemming like behaviour in spades.
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Pity that that isnt new either. Its just a bit better on the touch
screen side. There's plenty of other touchscreens out there now.
from what ive seen in the videos, the UI improvements i like go beyond
touch screen. they are inline w/ my mac user experience, which i like.
Sure, but thats nothing like your previous claim.
which was?
If you hadnt carefully deleted it from the quoting, you'd be able to see, child.
Post by tony
let me tell you: my claim was that its UI is vastly superior to any other cell's.
Lying again.
Post by tony
thats my claim, right there.
Thats actually a third claim and you have absolutely no idea if its true anyway.
tony
2007-06-29 15:37:12 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
I was commenting on the previous bit that even someone as
stupid as you should have noticed includes the word MARKET.
complete red herring. we were talking media player controls; the
market talk was seperate.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Wrong. Its good in your terms.
hell no, it isnt.
Hell yes it is.
I just use the word decent instead of your use of good, cretin.
but...im refuting that -- i dont think the nokia UI is good. really i
dont. in my terms, it aint good.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
my current phone is a nokia,
Then that claim of yours is a lie or you are a klutz.
oh? so if i dont like nokia, then im lying or a klutz?
Nope, if you are often frustrated by a nokia.
i am. because i dont like its ui.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
wow. then i guess if weve peaked w/ nokias,
nobody else should bother making phones, eh?
Having fun thrashing that straw man, child ?
no straw man -- im merely replying to what youre evidently purporting.
if what you think youre saying is something different, then perhaps
you need to make it clearer.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
you & your dreamy nokia play no bearing in that.
You and your lemming like behaviour in spades.
but im no lemming. i didnt get my first mac until very recently,
because i liked it UI and w/ the intel chip i could continue to
develop for win on it. so the whole "You're a lemming!" red herring is
done.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
Post by Rod Speed
Sure, but thats nothing like your previous claim.
which was?
If you hadnt carefully deleted it from the quoting, you'd be able to see, child.
ah, so you cant say. (meaning, your claim is bogus)
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
let me tell you: my claim was that its UI is vastly superior to any other cell's.
Lying again.
how can i be lying about my own claim? this thread started when i
chimed in on the crummy UI of other cells, your glorious pocket buddy
nokia include.
Post by Rod Speed
Post by tony
thats my claim, right there.
Thats actually a third claim and you have absolutely no idea if its true anyway.
from the videos, and the reviews, its been substantiated. being an
offshoot of OS X, it shares many of the qualities of OS X, which is an
OS w/ a UI i enjoy. so yes, i do have an idea of that being true.

sm
Ura Dippschit
2007-06-26 05:09:01 UTC
Post by Screw the iPhone
You wish. I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on.
Yeah. It's going to work different than all the videos and demos we've
seen once we actually have one, right shit brain?
Lars Träger
2007-06-27 21:48:52 UTC
Post by Ura Dippschit
Post by Screw the iPhone
You wish. I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on.
Yeah. It's going to work different than all the videos and demos we've
seen once we actually have one, right shit brain?
Well, I'd hope the displayed time isn't always 9:42 ...
Lars T.
Kurt Ullman
2007-06-27 21:53:04 UTC
Post by Lars Träger
Post by Ura Dippschit
Post by Screw the iPhone
You wish. I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on.
Yeah. It's going to work different than all the videos and demos we've
seen once we actually have one, right shit brain?
Well, I'd hope the displayed time isn't always 9:42 ...
Heck they already have it so more than one person can call. What do
you want? Blood?
da newb
2007-06-29 17:13:53 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Screw the iPhone
Post by Meg
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635816,00.html
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you whiney little babies get your
precious i(diot)Phones and discover what a horrible piece of shit it
actually is.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
I'll grant that you're an expert on shit, seeing as how that's what
you're made of, but that doesn't mean that you know shit about cell
phones.
You're just jealous because even though a child can use one intuitively,
you're too stupid to figure it out.
You wish. I just think it's funny as HELL to see everyone wetting
their pants over a piece of shit PHONE that NO ONE has yet put their
hands on. Do you think you could hold the grandstanding to a minimum
until you actually have real life experience with the thing, or is
your life *THAT* empty???
By your same argument, how can you say that the iPhone is shit? Logic
goes both ways, sir.
John C. Randolph
2007-06-27 01:42:10 UTC
Post by Screw the iPhone
Post by Meg
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635816,00.html
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when you whiney little babies get your
precious i(diot)Phones and discover what a horrible piece of shit it
actually is.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
Say there, prat: have you considered growing up and getting a life?
You really don't have to be this way, you know.

-jcr