Deleting Apple Account from iPhone
Otto Pylot
2012-12-30 22:09:33 UTC
If I Delete Account from an old iPhone does that just delete if from
the iPhone or does it delete the Apple ID account altogether? My
daughter has a new iPhone so she doesn't need her iPhone 3GS anymore. I
reset it and then updated it to iOS 6.0.1. To do so, I had to use my
Apple ID account. I'd like to delete my account off of the iPhone so
that it is completely clean. I've already removed her SIM card.
--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. Please respond to: ***@invalid.net
replacing invalid with sonic.
Jolly Roger
2012-12-30 22:15:54 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
If I Delete Account from an old iPhone does that just delete if from
the iPhone or does it delete the Apple ID account altogether? My
daughter has a new iPhone so she doesn't need her iPhone 3GS anymore. I
reset it and then updated it to iOS 6.0.1. To do so, I had to use my
Apple ID account. I'd like to delete my account off of the iPhone so
that it is completely clean. I've already removed her SIM card.
When you tap iOS > Settings > Mail > iCloud > Delete Account, it only
deletes the account from the iPhone itself; the account still exists at
Apple.

JR
Otto Pylot
2012-12-30 22:51:51 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Otto Pylot
If I Delete Account from an old iPhone does that just delete if from
the iPhone or does it delete the Apple ID account altogether? My
daughter has a new iPhone so she doesn't need her iPhone 3GS anymore. I
reset it and then updated it to iOS 6.0.1. To do so, I had to use my
Apple ID account. I'd like to delete my account off of the iPhone so
that it is completely clean. I've already removed her SIM card.
When you tap iOS > Settings > Mail > iCloud > Delete Account, it only
deletes the account from the iPhone itself; the account still exists at
Apple.
Thanks. That's what I was hoping.
Otto Pylot
2012-12-30 22:54:51 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Otto Pylot
If I Delete Account from an old iPhone does that just delete if from
the iPhone or does it delete the Apple ID account altogether? My
daughter has a new iPhone so she doesn't need her iPhone 3GS anymore. I
reset it and then updated it to iOS 6.0.1. To do so, I had to use my
Apple ID account. I'd like to delete my account off of the iPhone so
that it is completely clean. I've already removed her SIM card.
When you tap iOS > Settings > Mail > iCloud > Delete Account, it only
deletes the account from the iPhone itself; the account still exists at
Apple.
Oops. What about the Apple ID? How do I get rid of that?
Jolly Roger
2012-12-30 23:01:35 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Otto Pylot
If I Delete Account from an old iPhone does that just delete if from
the iPhone or does it delete the Apple ID account altogether? My
daughter has a new iPhone so she doesn't need her iPhone 3GS anymore. I
reset it and then updated it to iOS 6.0.1. To do so, I had to use my
Apple ID account. I'd like to delete my account off of the iPhone so
that it is completely clean. I've already removed her SIM card.
When you tap iOS > Settings > Mail > iCloud > Delete Account, it only
deletes the account from the iPhone itself; the account still exists at
Apple.
Oops. What about the Apple ID? How do I get rid of that?
You'll need to explain what you mean.

JR
nospam
2012-12-30 23:03:47 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Oops. What about the Apple ID? How do I get rid of that?
restore the phone from a stock firmware and then disconnect it from the
computer when it reboots after the restore completed, otherwise your
apple id will be written back to the device.
Otto Pylot
2012-12-30 23:46:33 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Otto Pylot
Oops. What about the Apple ID? How do I get rid of that?
restore the phone from a stock firmware and then disconnect it from the
computer when it reboots after the restore completed, otherwise your
apple id will be written back to the device.
So have to restore it from iTunes even though I haven't (or want to)
register it in iTunes on my computer? Would another reset of the iPhone
do the same thing if I keep WiFi off?
nospam
2012-12-30 23:58:20 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by nospam
Post by Otto Pylot
Oops. What about the Apple ID? How do I get rid of that?
restore the phone from a stock firmware and then disconnect it from the
computer when it reboots after the restore completed, otherwise your
apple id will be written back to the device.
So have to restore it from iTunes even though I haven't (or want to)
register it in iTunes on my computer?
after the restore is complete, the phone will reboot and then itunes
will ask you to set up the phone. even if you don't go through the
setup, your apple id is already in the phone.

to avoid that, you want to disconnect the iphone when it reboots after
the restore is complete and before itunes sees it as a new device.
Post by Otto Pylot
Would another reset of the iPhone
do the same thing if I keep WiFi off?
doesn't matter. if itunes saw the phone, your appleid is written to it.

are you wiping it because you want to sell the old iphone?
Otto Pylot
2012-12-31 00:24:13 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by Otto Pylot
Would another reset of the iPhone
do the same thing if I keep WiFi off?
doesn't matter. if itunes saw the phone, your appleid is written to it.
are you wiping it because you want to sell the old iphone?
iTunes never saw the phone. I just reset the phone via Reset, updated
to iOS 6.0.1 via WiFi (which is why I had to use my Apple ID and
account) and then disabled Notifications, deleting my account from the
phone (but my Apple ID is still there), and removed the SIM card. I
haven't decided on what I want to do with the phone, sell it or keep it
for another family member.
David Empson
2012-12-31 00:35:55 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by nospam
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by Otto Pylot
Would another reset of the iPhone
do the same thing if I keep WiFi off?
doesn't matter. if itunes saw the phone, your appleid is written to it.
are you wiping it because you want to sell the old iphone?
iTunes never saw the phone. I just reset the phone via Reset, updated
to iOS 6.0.1 via WiFi (which is why I had to use my Apple ID and
account) and then disabled Notifications, deleting my account from the
phone (but my Apple ID is still there), and removed the SIM card. I
haven't decided on what I want to do with the phone, sell it or keep it
for another family member.
Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings

The next time the phone starts up it will act like a brand new iPhone,
asking for initial setup. (It can't get past that unless it has a
working SIM inserted.)

It won't retain any previous account details or Apple IDs.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
Lewis
2012-12-31 01:18:36 UTC
Post by David Empson
The next time the phone starts up it will act like a brand new iPhone,
asking for initial setup. (It can't get past that unless it has a
working SIM inserted.)
A SIM, not a working SIM.
--
The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a young
woman. There was no possible way that she could have been mistaken for a
young man in any language, especially Braille.
nospam
ios5 or later does not need a sim.
David Empson
2012-12-31 02:40:16 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Lewis
Post by David Empson
The next time the phone starts up it will act like a brand new iPhone,
asking for initial setup. (It can't get past that unless it has a
working SIM inserted.)
A SIM, not a working SIM.
ios5 or later does not need a sim.
My iPhone 3GS, recently wiped, is running iOS 5.1.1 and the first screen
says "No SIM Card Installed. Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to
activate iPhone." I can tap OK to get past that, and go through a few
screens for language, location services and WiFi network selection.

I wasn't able to get beyond those screens without a SIM installed. Got
as far as the WiFi network selection, then it tried to activate, but
said "We are unable to continue wit..." and "Please try again, or
contact customer care."

It is indicating it connected to my WiFi network, so the lack of a valid
SIM seems the only likely reason it isn't getting any further.

I then inserted my now disabled original SIM, which was locked, and by
starting again was able to unlock the SIM, and the setup was able to
proceed past that screen. The next screen asked if I wanted to restore
from backup or set it up as a new phone, but I didn't go any further.

Therefore a SIM is required, and it must be registered to a carrier, but
it doesn't need an active account associated with the SIM.

A blank SIM probably wouldn't work. No SIM certainly doesn't work.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
nospam
2012-12-31 02:52:13 UTC
Post by David Empson
Post by nospam
Post by Lewis
Post by David Empson
The next time the phone starts up it will act like a brand new iPhone,
asking for initial setup. (It can't get past that unless it has a
working SIM inserted.)
A SIM, not a working SIM.
ios5 or later does not need a sim.
My iPhone 3GS, recently wiped, is running iOS 5.1.1 and the first screen
says "No SIM Card Installed. Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to
activate iPhone." I can tap OK to get past that, and go through a few
screens for language, location services and WiFi network selection.
i didn't have a sim cutter when i bought my iphone 4 so i tried to
activate it without any sim. i expected it to not work based on older
iphones and older ios versions, but it activated. i remember being
surprised it worked.

i used the iphone 4 as an ipod touch until i got a sim cutter and cut
the the sim down, at which point i wiped it clean and did a normal
activation with a sim.
Lewis
2012-12-31 04:45:18 UTC
nospam
2012-12-31 05:30:59 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by nospam
Post by Lewis
Post by David Empson
The next time the phone starts up it will act like a brand new iPhone,
asking for initial setup. (It can't get past that unless it has a
working SIM inserted.)
A SIM, not a working SIM.
ios5 or later does not need a sim.
As usual, weasel-boy dumbass is wrong.
then explain how my iphone 4 activated without one, oh wise one. i
didn't have a microsim at the time and didn't want to wait. worked
fine.
Otto Pylot
2012-12-31 06:25:48 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Lewis
Post by nospam
Post by Lewis
Post by David Empson
The next time the phone starts up it will act like a brand new iPhone,
asking for initial setup. (It can't get past that unless it has a
working SIM inserted.)
A SIM, not a working SIM.
ios5 or later does not need a sim.
As usual, weasel-boy dumbass is wrong.
then explain how my iphone 4 activated without one, oh wise one. i
didn't have a microsim at the time and didn't want to wait. worked
fine.
This is all very interesting but it has veered a bit off of the OT.
With the SIM removed, the 3GS says "No SIM" at the top left. I removed
the SIM so that my daughter's phone number wouldn't be listed as the
default number because it's on the SIM card. My home network is still
listed under WiFi even though I have turned off WiFi. My guess is that
WiFi will still work even without the SIM card. If we do sell the phone
or give it to another family member, they'll just have to get their own
SIM card and follow the activation process for AT&T. The 3GS is not
unlocked (maybe I should think about doing that).
nospam
2012-12-31 06:47:39 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
With the SIM removed, the 3GS says "No SIM" at the top left. I removed
the SIM so that my daughter's phone number wouldn't be listed as the
default number because it's on the SIM card. My home network is still
listed under WiFi even though I have turned off WiFi.
it will remember all wifi networks you've joined, but if wifi is off,
it's not going to show.
Post by Otto Pylot
My guess is that
WiFi will still work even without the SIM card.
it will
Post by Otto Pylot
If we do sell the phone
or give it to another family member, they'll just have to get their own
SIM card and follow the activation process for AT&T. The 3GS is not
unlocked (maybe I should think about doing that).
and that will put their info on the phone. a family member is not
likely to try to find out what used to be on it.

if you sell it, you may not know what the buyer might do. that's where
it might be wise to wipe it clean. very clean.
Otto Pylot
2012-12-31 19:07:59 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
If we do sell the phone
or give it to another family member, they'll just have to get their own
SIM card and follow the activation process for AT&T. The 3GS is not
unlocked (maybe I should think about doing that).
and that will put their info on the phone. a family member is not
likely to try to find out what used to be on it.
if you sell it, you may not know what the buyer might do. that's where
it might be wise to wipe it clean. very clean.
Ok. This morning I connected it the iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.0.1) without the
SIM card to iTunes (11.0.1) on my MacBook Air. iTunes recognized it as
a new phone and gave me two options. Either to restore it from my
iPhone 5 backup or set it up as a new phone. I wasn't sure about the
setting it up as a new phone option so I disconnected it.

I then Erased All Contents and Data (again) from the iPhone 3GS without
the SIM card. The phone rebooted and got as far as the Wifi setup. It
had my home network listed but of course no pw. That's as far as I
could get.

I just found my AT&T SIM card from my old Motorola V635 phone. It's the
same size as the iPhone's SIM so I'm going to install that and see what
happens. I've got nothing else to do today :-)
nospam
2012-12-31 19:18:43 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by nospam
Post by Otto Pylot
If we do sell the phone
or give it to another family member, they'll just have to get their own
SIM card and follow the activation process for AT&T. The 3GS is not
unlocked (maybe I should think about doing that).
and that will put their info on the phone. a family member is not
likely to try to find out what used to be on it.
if you sell it, you may not know what the buyer might do. that's where
it might be wise to wipe it clean. very clean.
Ok. This morning I connected it the iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.0.1) without the
SIM card to iTunes (11.0.1) on my MacBook Air. iTunes recognized it as
a new phone and gave me two options. Either to restore it from my
iPhone 5 backup or set it up as a new phone. I wasn't sure about the
setting it up as a new phone option so I disconnected it.
either way, your apple id is already in the phone.
Post by Otto Pylot
I then Erased All Contents and Data (again) from the iPhone 3GS without
the SIM card. The phone rebooted and got as far as the Wifi setup. It
had my home network listed but of course no pw. That's as far as I
could get.
what happened when you put in the password?
that should help.
Otto Pylot
2012-12-31 20:01:33 UTC
Lewis
2012-12-31 11:13:04 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by nospam
Post by Lewis
Post by nospam
Post by Lewis
Post by David Empson
[...]
You only need the SIM to complete the initial setup sequence. After
that, the phone will work just fine as an iPod without a SIM. You have
to have the SIM to do the setup.
A FIRE DRILL DOES NOT DEMAND A FIRE Bart chalkboard Ep. 4F16
Otto Pylot
2012-12-31 06:33:34 UTC
Post by David Empson
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by nospam
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by Otto Pylot
[...]
Hmmm, that's what I did but the SIM was still in the phone and my
AppleID was still listed. Maybe I'll try the Erase all Content and
Settings again with the SIM removed (as it is now). It's already been
updated to iOS 6.0.1 so there's nothing new for it to do. This is
interesting.
nospam
2012-12-31 00:40:45 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
iTunes never saw the phone. I just reset the phone via Reset, updated
to iOS 6.0.1 via WiFi (which is why I had to use my Apple ID and
account) and then disabled Notifications, deleting my account from the
phone (but my Apple ID is still there), and removed the SIM card. I
haven't decided on what I want to do with the phone, sell it or keep it
for another family member.
if you are going to sell it or give it someone else, you should restore
a stock firmware via itunes which will wipe it clean. if you *really*
want it clean, disconnect it as i described but it's not that big of a
deal. you definitely do *not* want to go through the setup process.

if you don't disconnect it,your appleid will be in the phone, but a new
user would still need your password for it to matter. once the new user
sets up the phone for their use, their appleid will replace yours.
Otto Pylot
2012-12-31 01:05:22 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Otto Pylot
iTunes never saw the phone. I just reset the phone via Reset, updated
to iOS 6.0.1 via WiFi (which is why I had to use my Apple ID and
account) and then disabled Notifications, deleting my account from the
phone (but my Apple ID is still there), and removed the SIM card. I
haven't decided on what I want to do with the phone, sell it or keep it
for another family member.
if you are going to sell it or give it someone else, you should restore
a stock firmware via itunes which will wipe it clean. if you *really*
want it clean, disconnect it as i described but it's not that big of a
deal. you definitely do *not* want to go through the setup process.
if you don't disconnect it,your appleid will be in the phone, but a new
user would still need your password for it to matter. once the new user
sets up the phone for their use, their appleid will replace yours.
Ok, thanks. I guess it's ok for now then. I may try later to restore it
via iTunes and then disconnect as you suggested.
nospam
2012-12-31 01:46:41 UTC
Post by Otto Pylot
Post by nospam
Post by Otto Pylot
[...]
it's not a big deal if you don't. unless they go looking for the old
appleid, they aren't likely to notice because it will be replaced when
they set up the phone.